• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who makes audio faceplates?

hatrack71

distracted by everything
I am curious as to whether any AKer knows where to have specific face plates made. I have a couple of H/K Citation 16As that were were handled less than nicely on the way to my house by UPS. The backing part of the faceplate is all I need on both units- the piece the handles mount on. The meters and center face plates are OK. Seems there would be someone who could make a couple of rectangular black anodized generic face plates with a few holes drilled, right? I just do not know who or where. I am looking for suggestions. I have gone the route of trying to find originals- YEAH RIGHT. These are far too uncommon for that- believe me, I have looked for a couple years. If and when I do, most will want to part with the whole unit and shipping is terribly high at 70 pounds. HELP!!
 
Register to hide this ad
I was just in Seattle and in the Georgetown area... I wish I would have known about this since I have several Pioneer and Kenwood faceplates I would like to see if they could make close "factory" copies of... In the original "brushed" stainless-steel finish.

I do not think they can do silk screening at this time, but it looks like they do a laser engraving and if they could do all or most of the original factory markings, I would be very happy!! I believe that there is a product on the market that can "feel-it" the engravings and provide a smooth/flush finish in various colors, including black, grays and blues.

I have several units that are in serious need of cosmetic repairs and this looks like a good way of making this happen since its a waste of time and money (IMHO) looking for original parts for equipment that's 30 plus years old.
 
check out a site: HI-FI 2000 Contenitori.....I have been thinking about building the Transcendent Grounded Grid Preamp but just could not get past the looks...but now with a panel from this company:D
 
I have a feeling that Front panel express will be getting a lot of business due to this great link. Thanks ChrisMarantz!!
 
I have an upcoming rebuild of a Marantz 510 amplifier. The original faceplate is very worn and the odds of finding a replacement in good condition is low. Since the 510 has a fairly simple faceplate I will probably have a new aluminum panel made to the match the original and reuse the plastic insert from the 510.

I am also considering have the new aluminum panel professionally painted with automotive paint. I think the blackest black in high gloss could be a very cool look for this amplifier.
 
I have an upcoming rebuild of a Marantz 510 amplifier. The original faceplate is very worn and the odds of finding a replacement in good condition is low. Since the 510 has a fairly simple faceplate I will probably have a new aluminum panel made to the match the original and reuse the plastic insert from the 510.

I am also considering have the new aluminum panel professionally painted with automotive paint. I think the blackest black in high gloss could be a very cool look for this amplifier.

th_Lurker.gif
 
I've seen this page from AMK for more than a year with no real parts for sale. Hopefully they can get it going though!

They do make nice repro Marantz feet and 200mA fuse lamps. :D
 
Having formerly worked in the vintage auto industry, AMK is an excellent manufacturer of parts and they get all the details spot on which is why so many people ask for AMK by name. However all of AMK's reputation is tied up in quality and definitely not their customer service or accessibly.

I used to say that they would arrive at the office at 10AM, take a two hour lunch at noon and then call it a day around 3PM. They were nice enough folks if you could actually manage to speak to one. They are based out of Winchester, VA and we were only about 45 minutes to an hour south of their headquarters and it still took anywhere from 2-6 weeks get parts in. This was rather annoying as my customer base was not the most patient.

Anyway, AMK's audio site has not progressed much since I saw it last year (so don't hold your breath). I personally would go with one of the other mentioned sources which more than likely would be far more affordable anyway.
 
Having formerly worked in the vintage auto industry, AMK is an excellent manufacturer of parts and they get all the details spot on which is why so many people ask for AMK by name. However all of AMK's reputation is tied up in quality and definitely not their customer service or accessibly.

I used to say that they would arrive at the office at 10AM, take a two hour lunch at noon and then call it a day around 3PM. They were nice enough folks if you could actually manage to speak to one. They are based out of Winchester, VA and we were only about 45 minutes to an hour south of their headquarters and it still took anywhere from 2-6 weeks get parts in. This was rather annoying as my customer base was not the most patient.

Anyway, AMK's audio site has not progressed much since I saw it last year (so don't hold your breath). I personally would go with one of the other mentioned sources which more than likely would be far more affordable anyway.

I actually came across that website around 3 years ago so don't hold your breath is right! I'm not sure what the hold up is but they would do very good business if they ever got their act together.
 
Very cool indeed.

I have a few stock, spare faceplates that will be sprayed a harvest gold, and am experimenting with a friend on silkscreening them (we have a silkscreen dept).

I also have a Fisher faceplate we will be polishing then attempting to silkscreen- We're eager to see how it works out- but this is our busy time of the season, so it may be a long, long while.


this service looks great though- for the damaged plates one can't replace.
 
Very cool video. I especially like that fact that it's black and white.:smoke:

Any pictures of the faceplate you had made?

As for AMK Products, their web site has not changed in at least two years in regards to the faceplates

I had the top and bottom plates fabricated and engraved for the project, out of 3mm anodized aluminum. There are many options that you can choose from. The software is easy to use too. Attached is a photo of the plates as I received them.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0224.jpg
    DSC_0224.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0238.jpg
    DSC_0238.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom