• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who Remembers Travis McGee's Stereo System?

Oh, absolutely. I'm a big Robert Parker guy, now I can get a pretty good idea of where he got Spenser from. I'm looking forward to reading the whole series, and next time I go see the old man in Florida, we're going looking for slip F-18 at Bahia Mar in Lauderdale.
 
In The Green Ripper a melancholy McGee ruminates over his stereo gear and the meaning of his existence, name brands left out.
 
Dredging this one out of the depths...
I'm laid up with an injured knee so I've started on re-reading this series...

In "the quick red fox" Travis is running AR3,Scott tuner (WAEZ Miami) and a Fisher amplifier...
 
That sucks, I hope the knee heals quickly!!!

Thanks for bumping this as I never read it the first time around. Time to dig up some books!

KC
 
Can remember the stereo either, but I remember he always listened to it while enjoying a Tuborg.

and he drank plymouth gin

deep blue goodbye was a good one, the jewels were earned by a different damsel's father in the war flying 'the hump' to china and back. lois was one of juniors earliy victims after he found the loot and came back with his own yacht. trav sobered her up with some TLC and the help of a friendly doctor and got her to spill on junior and (of course) fall in love with him
 
and he drank plymouth gin

deep blue goodbye was a good one, the jewels were earned by a different damsel's father in the war flying 'the hump' to china and back. lois was one of juniors earliy victims after he found the loot and came back with his own yacht. trav sobered her up with some TLC and the help of a friendly doctor and got her to spill on junior and (of course) fall in love with him

I had to smile when I read iwilson's synopsis of The Deep Blue Goodbye; I've read the selection so many times, and reread it in those brief sentences. Junior was one of Travis's most brutal opponents who very nearly killed him, and did get to some close to him... maybe time for me to read it again.
 
That sucks, I hope the knee heals quickly!!!

Thanks for bumping this as I never read it the first time around. Time to dig up some books!

KC

Thanks... It'll heal when it heals... For now it's keeping me from having to drive truck in this slop up here in PA

I'm re-reading them all in order from the beginning...
It's probably been 25 years since I've read some of them
 
Last edited:
The Travis McGee series is just flat-out wonderful to read. One of the best things about it may be that the imagery that John D. MacDonald could get you to conjure up in your brain has not been overprinted by a Hollywood 'interpretation', although in the last few years there has been talk on IMDB of a film based on the Deep Blue Goodbye. I hope it never comes to pass, because these books are just so wonderful to read - and re-read, and let your mind play with the details. MacDonald was a fine writer.

Random House put out the series on cassette, all read by Darren McGavin except for two of them, and the Travis McGee books on tape are great fun on motor trips. Random House has re-issued the series on CD, read by someone else. But McGavin did such a fine job of it, it is worth seeking out the old ones.
 
sam elliot was in a tv version of, 'tan and sandy silence.' not awful, but elliot really didn't have the stature. I always thought a younger nick nolte would make a good mcgee
 
There may have been more than one. He had AR speakers, I believe the 2ax. However, I can't recall the amp/tuner, or was it receiver? Scott? Fisher? McIntosh? Marantz? Maybe KLH? Aboard the Busted Flush with a bikinied dancer practicing her choreography to the music while conning him into going to work - something he tended to resist doing until funds got low.
 
There may have been more than one. He had AR speakers, I believe the 2ax. However, I can't recall the amp/tuner, or was it receiver? Scott? Fisher? McIntosh? Marantz? Maybe KLH? Aboard the Busted Flush with a bikinied dancer practicing her choreography to the music while conning him into going to work - something he tended to resist doing until funds got low.
2as.
 
Back
Top Bottom