• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why didn't 8 track decks use 8 channel heads?

Only reason I have one.

I remember Dad's favorite cartridge was ELO greatest hits. I remember him driving home at night in the Cutlass Supreme 442 with that playing while I laid on the rear package tray and watched the stars go by.

I hunted one down and that's all I play in my quad 8 track player.

"Kachunk"


Ah, memories.....:)

Was kinda fun rebuilding the old 8 track player too. It was different.
Everyone should have a couple.

Mike

8-1.jpg
 
Guy I used to work with told me about his switch from 8 track to cassette. I forget what song he specifically mentioned but it was one of those long ones that had a program change in the middle of it. He bought a cassette deck for the car and got the same album on cassette, only to find that apparently, they still split that song across 2 sides of the tape.

I don't know if thats a BS story or not but I thought it was pretty funny at the time.
It might have been "Free Bird." I had the cassette and it was split in two sections with fade out/in.
 
At Telex, the reject rate with quad heads was not inconsiderable at incoming. They were 100% inspected and tested. This, compared to the stereo heads which were subjected just to the standard sampling protocol.

We were kind of in a constant battle with the Japanese vendor to supply us with good heads.

The whole head sub-assembly process , testing the raw head, getting the head mounted into its plastic holder, soldering the output wires to the pins, insulating all the pins with special shrink-wrap, and mounting that whole assembly into the deck, was quite the process.

Doug
 
At Telex, the reject rate with quad heads was not inconsiderable at incoming. They were 100% inspected and tested. This, compared to the stereo heads which were subjected just to the standard sampling protocol.

We were kind of in a constant battle with the Japanese vendor to supply us with good heads.

The whole head sub-assembly process , testing the raw head, getting the head mounted into its plastic holder, soldering the output wires to the pins, insulating all the pins with special shrink-wrap, and mounting that whole assembly into the deck, was quite the process.

Doug
This post said it all. Note, even Quadraphonic-8 had issues with heads having high reject rates. Doug G, I suspect every company who offered Quad-8 had the same problem (and the same Japanese vendors). Even Teac had higher reject rates on their 4 channel open reel machines from what I was told, than the 2 channel models (note, the 4 channel open reel machines were also considerably expensive for consumer audio tape machines in that era).
 
Back
Top Bottom