• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why does my beer taste like grapefruit?

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
Subscriber
Couple nights ago I went to happy hour at a local pub, had lots of taps. I was looking for a lighter beer, not afraid of anything mind you, but wasn't in the mood for dark. I tasted something (can't remember what now, duh), probably a lager or summer ale, and it tasted like grapefruit. The bartender agreed. I assumed they put flavor in it, which I don't go for. I drank something else.

Tonight I found a 6-pack of Sam Adams Noble Pils on sale. Now I like lagers (usually less hoppy), and I like the aromatic Czech hops, so I bought it. Darn it, tastes like grapefruit! The Sam Adams website even says that. They also list the ingredients, which includes NO GRAPEFRUIT. It must be coming from either the hops, or the particular combination of malt and yeast. I like fruit, and I like beer, but I prefer to enjoy them separately. Bleh. :wtf:
 
Register to hide this ad
It's the hops. Many have a citrusy aroma and flavor. Some of the summer beers are flavored with citrus peel though. Heifewiesens taste of bananas but that comes from the yeast variety.
 
I find a lot of IPA's taste that way to me. IPA's are not for me, I avoid anything that's described as "hoppy".
 
Yeah, I'm that way too, mostly on the bitter part, not so much the aromatics. I've made beer with Hallertauer hops added just at the end, oh the hoppy aroma w/o the bitterness. This was not that. I think I'm a bit more sensitive than most people to 'bitter'. Just can't drink IPA and even most pale ales are too bitter. Dark roasted coffee. Stuff like that.

Anyway, I just didn't realize there were grapefruity hops. :dunno:


Drink up lads, for tomorrow we freeze our hineys off!

:beer:
 
I find a lot of IPA's taste that way to me. IPA's are not for me, I avoid anything that's described as "hoppy".

Me too. I don't drink much beer anymore but if im in a light, crisp mood I'll have a Blue Moon or even a Schlitz. I still enjoy Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout though.
 
Couple nights ago I went to happy hour at a local pub, had lots of taps. I was looking for a lighter beer, not afraid of anything mind you, but wasn't in the mood for dark. I tasted something (can't remember what now, duh), probably a lager or summer ale, and it tasted like grapefruit. The bartender agreed. I assumed they put flavor in it, which I don't go for. I drank something else.

Tonight I found a 6-pack of Sam Adams Noble Pils on sale. Now I like lagers (usually less hoppy), and I like the aromatic Czech hops, so I bought it. Darn it, tastes like grapefruit! The Sam Adams website even says that. They also list the ingredients, which includes NO GRAPEFRUIT. It must be coming from either the hops, or the particular combination of malt and yeast. I like fruit, and I like beer, but I prefer to enjoy them separately. Bleh. :wtf:

Perhaps you had a Stiegl Radler? It's a very refreshing rather light beer that tastes a bit like the 50/50 soft drink. However, I find it hard to drink more than one. http://www.stiegl.at/en/stieglat/enjoy-stiegl/stiegl-products/grapefruit-stiegl-radler-161/

As posted above, many of the hops used in various beers impart a citrus flavor. Palettes change over the years and I find I'm being drawn to more traditional German style beers and away from the "over the top" hoppiness that many Amercan craft brews exhibit. While I do love a good IPA and consider Belles Hop Slam a great beer, many of the extra hoppy beers are a bit like a slap in the face.

Prisoners, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is a wonderful beer and I have yet to find a Samuel Smith's beer that wasn't excellent. Time for more research.
 
I used to be an amber only type of guy, but found that malt only taste to get tiring.

I can only take so much of the doughy sweetness now and have found my tastes have gravitated to the IPAs with more crispness.

Still love a good porter or amber, but only in small doses.
 
I know what you mean, Erik but I also love a good porter or stout.

The good news is that we all have so many to choose from. IMO there's nothing worse than a whole lot of the same beer.
 
I know what you mean, Erik but I also love a good porter or stout.

The good news is that we all have so many to choose from. IMO there's nothing worse than a whole lot of the same beer.

Exactly! Fuller's London Porter is one of my favorites (porters were George Washington's favorite beer, so I'm in good company!)

This may sound snobbish/elitist - but I stock several types of beers and for a weekend I plan out a progression for the day's enjoyment. I don't drink the same beer glass after glass.

It's all good....:beer:
 
The citrus character of many hop varieties make for some interesting IPAs & similar styles. I work at a craft brewery (Flying Dog) & we make a series of single hop imperial IPAs featuring hops such as Simcoe, Citra, El Dorado and others. The ABV on these is around 10% & the bitterness levels are very intense. Not every ones cup of beer for sure.
 
What I would very much like to try are some of the ancient brews recreated by Dr. Patrick McGovern scientific Director of the Biomolecular Archaeology Project for Cuisine.
 
The citrus character of many hop varieties make for some interesting IPAs & similar styles. I work at a craft brewery (Flying Dog) & we make a series of single hop imperial IPAs featuring hops such as Simcoe, Citra, El Dorado and others. The ABV on these is around 10% & the bitterness levels are very intense. Not every ones cup of beer for sure.

You lucky 'dog' :D
 
Erik- I'll never get rich working there, but the beer benefits help keep me happy. I have some of the single hop Simcoe in bottles and I have a growler of a limited edition cinnamon porter for this weekend.
 
Erik- I'll never get rich working there, but the beer benefits help keep me happy. I have some of the single hop Simcoe in bottles and I have a growler of a limited edition cinnamon porter for this weekend.

You may not be money rich, but if you are doing what you are passionate about - then that is much more rewarding.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom