• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why oh why.

billathome65

Active Member
Ive got an old pioneer A-207R which has only been working on right output since my daughters mate thought it would be a good idea to crank the volume up to max taking out the left side.

I've lived with it for years but decided I wanted to replace it so went looking and found a Kenwood KA76 which was a good price and advertised as hardly used and in very good condition.

My idea was get that and play about with the pioneer as a learning path.

The Kenwood turned up today I chucked a couple of speaker on it to discover im only getting sound out of 1 speaker A right. I tried switching the 8 ohm to -8 ohms I've tried some headphones with sound from right side only as well.

So now i'm back to the start. Ive chucked my pioneer speakers back on and sent a message asking what the guys playing at. I'm annoyed as I believe the Kenwwod is a far superiour bit of kit.

It's either cash back and return or some cash back and I keep it and work on that one instead.

Anyway rant over.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm assuming by 8 ohm to - 8 ohm you mean you reversed polarity. You can probably assume for now that it isn't the speaker wire or speaker, because the same side also didn't work with headphones.

Have you tried multiple inputs? With a known good cd player or similar device and known good interconnects?

Have you exercised all the buttons, knobs, and switches? Something may be oxidized in there.
 
THis Amp allows you to change the ohms if you have speakers 8 to 16 ohm or 8 to 4 ohm as my speakers are 8 ohms i switched down to see if that did anything. I worked the buttons externally with no change and have tried phono and tape. The seller has refunded me £30 on it so am happy to dig deeper so next will be deoxit. As its only working 1 speaker and one side of headphones im leaning towards a output issue. So need to download a service manual and do some research so im not just swapping out stuff. Any other ideas welcome and to be honest much needed as im very new to this and all I have os a half decent multimeter and a tester.
 
It's a big coincidence for two tuners to have the same fault so suspect cables amp speakers, not impossible but well worth checking a known good source. You can stick the multimeter probes in the RCA outputs, positive in the centre and negative in the outer shield, you should get a rapidly varying voltage between 0 and 2v. If you get next to nothing and the tuner is on station then maybe it's the tuner.
 
It's a big coincidence for two tuners to have the same fault so suspect cables amp speakers, not impossible but well worth checking a known good source. You can stick the multimeter probes in the RCA outputs, positive in the centre and negative in the outer shield, you should get a rapidly varying voltage between 0 and 2v. If you get next to nothing and the tuner is on station then maybe it's the tuner.
The pioneer has a different issue.

The Kenwood is now working. I deoxed all switches last night.

Turned on this morning and was the same.

I did a bit of tapping on the relay box, ( why not ) then by accident I noticed that when I crossed the negatives A to B on the back of the Amp I could get the other channels working put them as should be nothing? so after running the system crossed over for a bit I then wired them as they should be and found they had sorted themselfs out?

Any ideas why as the relay was clicking as it should so dont thing it was the tapping that sorted it.
 
Seems I still have an issue with this Amp.

I'm thinking the relay may be screwed up?

A speakers RIGHT speaker works fine + - next to each other.

A speaker LEFT speaker + is ok but - only works if conected to B speaker - either left or right.

B speaker RIGHT + - OK to each other

B speaker Left won't work in any - however if I remove B R speaker - join L & R - together both speakers work fine thats even If I connect to the system or even out of the system ??????

As it's working fine that way i'm inlinned to leave it unless long term it is going to cause additional issues.

I've heared these are directional speakers but I would have assuemed that both A&B sets would work together if both buttons are pressed in but they don't A go off and B take over.
 

Attachments

  • 20260220_083056(1).jpg
    20260220_083056(1).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom