• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why would a semi-sane person get a reel to reel deck?

I used my first R2R in the mid/late 70's....it belonged to the father of a friend of mine and we were allowed to mess with it. It was a 'portable' unit. Ever since I've wanted one to add to my silverface Pioneer setup. In the last year I've picked up 3 of them: a Pioneer RT-1020L which I've just finished resurrecting. It was missing parts when I got it...and overall in really bad shape. It runs like a champ now. I also have an Akai GX-220D and an Akai GX-260D. The 220D is ugly but works great and the 260D is clean and gorgeous but has some issues. It's my next project. I use them to listen to both home-made and pre-recorded tapes. Just the other night I listen to a single 10-1/2" tape on the 1020L that had 3 hours of Hendrix on it...good stuff!
 
2.) New high bias blank tape is still available; not so w/cass tapes. (Someone please tell me I'm mistaken-- I'd really like to buy new high bias cass tape too.) Blank plastic waffles... That could digress into an analog -vs- digital discussion so best leave that one alone.
I'm pleased to tell that I reasonably believe you are mistaken. In the friendliest possible way, of course. :)

Although I think you have to go new old stock if you want Metal (type IV) cassette tape, Chrome high-bias cassette tape is still made by a few different companies, particularly Maxell. There are some smaller makers as well. Someone had posted a link to a tape supplier that had a variety of high-bias tape formulations available.

I suspect that if high bias cassette tape goes further out of style and stops being made by the few big names left producing it that a sort of renaissance (sp?) will occur as has taken place with reel to reel stuff...and that some small company will step in and start production again in time.

I don't have any reel-to-reel stuff here in fully functional condition and I'd be afraid of what would happen if I started. ;) As it is, I was suitably stunned by the performance of my dad's old Technics RS-M14 cassette deck on a Sony Type IV new old stock tape. Dead quiet noise floor, impressive dynamics and all-around amazing performance.

What are the plastic waffles of which you speak? CD-R/RW?
 
I used my first R2R in the mid/late 70's.... Just the other night I listen to a single 10-1/2" tape on the 1020L that had 3 hours of Hendrix on it...good stuff!

YOU MUST GET RID OF THAT TAPE IMMEDIATELY OR SEVERE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR:nono::no: PM me for my address.:hdphones::beerchug:
 
I've had more problems out of cassette decks, Cd players, and turntables than I have had with my R2R's. I've had my GX-4400D since 1982(new) use it approx 40 hours a week and the only thing I've done to it in 29 years is cleaning. The Pinch roller is almost to the point where I'll need to send it to Terry, but other than that NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. My GX-370 has also proved to be NO PROBLEM. Other than an initial deep cleaning and a few caps(preventive) 2 years ago when I got it, No problems at all. It's run 20 hours a week. My TEAC A4010GSL needed caps. But I expected that. And I put a belt on it. It's also run 20 Hours a week. Other than that it only gets routine cleanings along with the AKAI's. Normal Maintenance. So I guess I'm lucky in that respect. Big robust mechanisms last longer and wear better than small lightly built mechanisms. I play my cassette deckks about 1/10th the amount of time I do my R2R's and have more alignment problems, more tape path mechanism problems, and belt problems. Guess it's the nature of the beast. But I'll take a R2R any day of the week.




Larry

Good Lord! Larry. WHAT is it you do where you can run decks over 80 hrs. a week?!?! VERY envious!:yes:
 
I have my reel to reel a bit far from my system and have to run a 12' audio cable to it. Works very good though. I wish it was closer, but I have no room for it without being near one of my DIY speakers which have some pretty good sized magnets.

Exactly my idea, I intend to get a long RCA cable the next time I place a big order with my electronics supplier.
 
I'm pleased to tell that I reasonably believe you are mistaken. In the friendliest possible way, of course. :)

Although I think you have to go new old stock if you want Metal (type IV) cassette tape, Chrome high-bias cassette tape is still made by a few different companies, particularly Maxell. There are some smaller makers as well. Someone had posted a link to a tape supplier that had a variety of high-bias tape formulations available.

I suspect that if high bias cassette tape goes further out of style and stops being made by the few big names left producing it that a sort of renaissance (sp?) will occur as has taken place with reel to reel stuff...and that some small company will step in and start production again in time.

I don't have any reel-to-reel stuff here in fully functional condition and I'd be afraid of what would happen if I started. ;) As it is, I was suitably stunned by the performance of my dad's old Technics RS-M14 cassette deck on a Sony Type IV new old stock tape. Dead quiet noise floor, impressive dynamics and all-around amazing performance.

What are the plastic waffles of which you speak? CD-R/RW?

I like being mistaken in these situations. :thmbsp:

Kind of weird tho... went to Maxell site & found XL-II in product line but maybe out of date. "Order Now" or "Find Store" = nada.

Sony's were good. Also seem to remember some white Denons (MG-X?) as pricey but darn near indestructable.

Plastic waffle might be slang down here in south Texas. Just means CD-R & so common-- they're basically just disposable.

But I thought that about cheap cassettes too... :screwy:

Now to try to find that link...

thx

--Bruce
 
Kind of weird tho... went to Maxell site & found XL-II in product line but maybe out of date. "Order Now" or "Find Store" = nada.
About a week or so ago, I saw them for sale on Amazon, from multiple sources.

Let's hope it was an error on the Maxell site? I'd hate to think that high bias cassette tape would be fading away to "gone" at last. Maybe I'd better start stocking up while the getting is good?

Thanks for the "plastic waffle" explanation. I'd never heard them called that before, althought it absolutely does make sense.
 
where stereo started...

if I remember correctly. My Wercor circa 1950s (w/magic eye) was THE trick for a kid living in Europe.
Rock & Roll on the radio (you're kidding .. right). The only thing for LIVE music was going to an Airmen's Club and getting lucky finding a jam session.
Thank heavens Bill Hailey and the Comets came by on occasion.
Tape sounded almost perfect compared to records of the period and I've never been without R2R since that first Webcor.
I know of no other recording medium that is as flexible when it comes to collecting music and maintaining a quality continuously usable source.
 
I have been an open reel user since 1974. My first was an Ampex 1800 and later got into A series Teac decks, ReVox decks, Tandbergs, and pro studio machines. I now use an Otari MX 5050 B II but at my weekend home have a full pro studio and lots of instruments and tape machines, mics and consoles.
 
Actually, I have no interest in using one in a system for listening or recording purposes. However, I would love to buy a mint condition piece just as a room "decoration" or conversation piece.
 
I must admit, I don't use my rtr that often. However, on my days off and during vacation time, I really start putting it to use by sitting back for 3 hours listening to some tunes, taping a few albums or going through the long, tedious but rewarding process of making a mix. I also have a supply of 5'' reels I use for live recordings or to mess around (karaoke recording, anyone?)
 
Back
Top Bottom