• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WHY would I be happy buying a Pioneer SX-1080 for $150

greenmark59

Can ya' hear that?
A guy I know says he wants to sell his Pioneer SX-1080 and I've gotten him to agree to sell it for $150.

How does this Pioneer compare to a similar Yamaha reciever (I tend to like Yamahas better)? :thmbsp: OR :thumbsdn:

I know it's my decision, but just wanted to get feedback on what the AK experience has been with the SX-1080 and also if it's a decent price for the features that I'm getting.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't have any frame of reference when it comes to compairing the 1080 to a Yahama. But I will tell you I paid $225 for my SX1080 and I love it. The sound, the power, the look, the FM reception. I couldn't be happier. If I had $150 laying around I WOULD BUY IT!
 
i love yamahas too but i also have a marantz, pioneer,concept, nakamichi,maggie and bottlehead tube amps at that price leap into the fold and enjoy the many differences that vintage can afford us
 
cant go wrong for that price! Pioneer receivers from that era look awesome! have you picked it up yet? do you like it?
 
You're gonna have to get more specific about which Yammis are your favorite.

When the Pioneers xx80 line replaced the xx50, Y was replacing its excellent x20 and x020 line with the x40's. The cases were simplified with no glass. The tuners may not be as good. Personally I like the x00 and x20's.

Styling between Pioneer lines is more about what you like. You get less metal but 4 VU meters and rainbow selector lights look cool. History shows the x050's hold up a tad better though.

Why you would be happy with a 1080 I can only project--it is 2nd to TOTL, and WAY WAY ahead of 3rd or 4th.

Strongest point of those Yammis is the tuner. For a 1080 Pioneer--although that 4-gang is a sweet, sensitive, and particularly selective one--it's the Amp baby. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom