• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wifi streaming vs hard-wired connection

PCV57

Active Member
I am currently using Spotify through my iPhone through a hard-wired cable to my pre-amp. I recently saw a setup using a wifi streamer to the stereo which would allow me to get rid of the cord. What I'm wondering is if there will be any loss in audio quality. Right now my iPhone-to-preamp cord is about 15ft long and a major tripping hazard so I'd love to get rid of it.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Depending on the streaming device, you will probably improve the quality. In your current setup, you are depending on the DAC in the phone. I'm not sure what the DAC is like in iPhones (or the dongle, depending on how old your iPhone is) but phones generally don't have great DAC's. Take a look at Wiim streamers. The convenience alone is worth the entry price.
 
I'm using a Helm Bolt DAC with the iPhone so it is capable of Hi_Res audio, but I would like to go wireless. I just looked up the Wiim streamer and it does state it is Hi-Res, as well. I've put a few dollars into my system and would prefer not to sacrifice audio quality, but would like the convenience of going wireless. Having said that, I've also taken the side-by-side test of the various Hi-Res music services and I can't really tell the difference anyway...lol
 
I started with the phone tethered to the pre-amp yrs ago. Haven't looked back or have any regrets since getting my first dedicated streamer about 6 yrs ago.

Happy WiiM pro user now. I can still hard wire my phone into the pre-amp, my side by side comparisons with Hi Rez streaming services have shown the phones internal DAC to be lacking compared to any of the streamers I have had.

These have been iPhone and Galaxy phones.
 
The amount of data that streaming music needs is not a problem at all to transmit wirelessly.
So no, there will be no loss of audio quality going wireless.
 
Thanks for the input. Can you tell me what the difference is between the mini and pro units?
 
The amount of data that streaming music needs is not a problem at all to transmit wirelessly.
So no, there will be no loss of audio quality going wireless.
I know that Bluetooth does not transmit Hi-Res music but wasn't sure about wifi.
 
I'm very happy with the Mini. Although I do use an external DAC, I think the DAC in the Mini is pretty good, especially with Spotify, since it's not hi res.. As you go up the Wiim line up the DACs get better.

Edit: the Mini and the Pro have the same DAC. Pro Plus has a better one.
 
Last edited:
Just read the website product descriptions. The only thing I would be using it for is to stream music to my pre/amp. Would I need anything more than the mini?
If later upgrades to your system are an Impossibility, you are asking upgrade questions now, it will probably fill your needs/wants... for now. The Pro gives more flexibility for later changes to your setup.
 
I would suspect that the DAC in the mini will support hi-res so it should be pretty decent and better than my Helm Bolt. I compared my Spotify Premium service to Apple and Amazon Hi-Res services using my Hifiman Sundara headphones w/ Fiio portable DAC and had a hard time hearing the difference. It could be that I do have some mild hearing loss or that I don't have audiophile ears. All that said, I do love sitting and listening to my system, preferably without hanging myself on the iPhone cord ;)
As far as future upgrades are concerned, nothing is "impossible", but the only thing I see myself doing is upgrading individual components i.e. amp, preamp, speakers. None of these should impact the source so I think the mini should work out.
 
So I reconsidered my previous comments, canceled my mini order and bought the Pro. It's small dollars and any chain is as strong as its weakest link. If the DAC is better in the Pro, it will be worth it even if I don't use any other features. I have a free trial for Apple Music so I'm to give hi-res another shot. Thanks everyone for your input!!
 
I would suspect that the DAC in the mini will support hi-res
Yes it does (TI PCM5121). Just as importantly the WiiM Mini, itself, supports hi-res PCM.

If the DAC is better in the Pro, it will be worth it even if I don't use any other features.
The Mini and Pro have the same DAC. The higher-spec DAC comes with the Pro Plus. Scroll down to "Which WiiM product is right for you?" -
https://www.wiimhome.com/wiimmini/overview
The difference between the Mini and Pro is that the Pro adds Chromecast support plus native LMS/Lyrion endpoint support.
Personally I would stick with the Mini or Pro, then add a good base-model DAC such as the Topping E30II - not because the E30II's DAC is necessarily better than the Pro Plus, but in the interests of having additional DAC inputs, and keeping components separate.
 
Last edited:
not because the E30II's DAC is necessarily better than the Pro Plus, but in the interests of having additional DAC inputs, and keeping components separate.
The Pro can be used as a DAC. It does ha e a Toslink input
 
The Pro can be used as a DAC. It does ha e a Toslink input
True - but I prefer the combo of the WiimPro and the Topping E30II DAc so I can see/confirm the actual data rate of the music I am listening to,
no matter the streaming source. Both pieces are quite affordable (about $150/ea, but can sometimes be found cheaper/on sale).
The WiimPro sees the internet via WiFi from the FIOS router in my upstairs office, and gets the max rate it can based on the stream quality.
(This was a HighRes album via Qobuz).

WiimProToppingE30II_0783.JPG
 
True - but I prefer the combo of the WiimPro and the Topping E30II DAc so I can see/confirm the actual data rate of the music I am listening to,
no matter the streaming source. Both pieces are quite affordable (about $150/ea, but can sometimes be found cheaper/on sale).
The WiimPro sees the internet via WiFi from the FIOS router in my upstairs office, and gets the max rate it can based on the stream quality.
(This was a HighRes album via Qobuz).


View attachment 3389639
I understand, mine is hooked up to my Biforst. The OP is self admitted "clueless", just commenting on a unintended touch of misinformation so they are aware that the Pro does in fact have a digital input:thumbsup:
 
I am currently using Spotify through my iPhone through a hard-wired cable to my pre-amp. I recently saw a setup using a wifi streamer to the stereo which would allow me to get rid of the cord. What I'm wondering is if there will be any loss in audio quality. Right now my iPhone-to-preamp cord is about 15ft long and a major tripping hazard so I'd love to get rid of it.

Thanks
I have used my iPhone hard wired and through a rocket fish Bluetooth and didn’t hear any difference ! That said I’m sure it’s not as good as a streamer but one good thing about vintage it was designed to hand less than perfect sources with plenty of room to compensate with the 3 band tone controls and loudness control .
 
I have used my iPhone hard wired and through a rocket fish Bluetooth and didn’t hear any difference ! That said I’m sure it’s not as good as a streamer but one good thing about vintage it was designed to hand less than perfect sources with plenty of room to compensate with the 3 band tone controls and loudness control .
$49.95 it’s worth a try , plug in play with rca cable and adaptor included , does also have an place for an optic cable
 
Back
Top Bottom