• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wildest looking 80's receivers?

Darksaga

Active Member
Looking to build an odd 80's system just for the fun of it. I was curious what were some of the wildest looking receivers from the 80's. Lots of labels, lights, so on. Sound isn't a big concern since I have my real system for that.

Something that is on ebay currently would be a +.
 
Register to hide this ad
Kenwood Galaxy Commander:



JVC JR-S501:

356940-rare_jvc_jrs501_high_current_powerhouse.jpg


Luxman Suckface RX-103:

luxman_rx-103_stereo_receiver.jpg
 
Last edited:
Ugh sadly I missed out on the last galaxy commander =( Ended before I got the notion to do this. I like the JVC but man I just want more Janky/tacky buttons and lights lol.
 
Philips FR-980. I need a flashlight to operate this one. And there are more buttons behind the lower door.

 
I'm really digging all these a lot. I also like the Mulitcolored VFD displays. I saw a few technics that fit that bill.
 
Last edited:
Pioneer VSX-5000, I bought one new from Highland Electronics store back in 1988. It was one of Pioneer's first dolby surround sound receivers and from what I remember it had a ton of buttons and a really gaudy and busy display....
 
I don't know; I think the Galaxy Commander is going to be tough to beat. The issue with some of the others is that their blackface looks are rather reminiscent of the '90s stuff - a little busier and more gimmicky yes, but the Galaxy Commander just screams, "I'm from the '80s and I couldn't possibly be from any other time period!"

And the Luxman suckface series I think also wins the higher-end version of the '80s aesthetic, similarly going to be tough to top that one.
 
Back
Top Bottom