• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Will a Moving Coil Cartridge work in my Marantz 2385 Receiver?

Musicman10

New Member
I'm considering purchasing an Ortofon Cadenza Black MC Cartridge for my Technics 1200g TT. Currently I have an Ortofon 2M Black MM cartridge, which sounds great, but I'd like to upgrade. Seeing the output on MC carts is much less than a MM cart, can anyone tell me if it will work in my phono input of my Marantz 2385? It's a big receiver, 185wpc. It was completely restored 2 yrs. ago and sounds fantastic. Can anyone advise?
Thanks!!
 
Register to hide this ad
Yep, what Kent said. There are a lot of external phono stages on the market that have an MM/MC switch, allowing you to choose based on your cart. That will up the signal to a line level, so you'd plug this preamp into any of you aux/line/tape inputs and you'll be good to go. I can vouch for the Vincent PHO-701 tube preamp. Excellent clarity yet keeps it warm and laid back, which is my preference.
 
Get a good Step up transformer . The Denon
‘s are good and pretty inexpensive used on ebay. Every time I have A/B’d a good set of transformers to an Active head amp the Step Up wins.
 
Since there are 2 phono inputs, perhaps one could separate one and shoehorn in a suitable preamp internally.
I'm assuming the 2 inputs share a common preamp.
 
Or you get a High Output Dynavector. One with a elliptical stylus or one with a fine line stylus. You might find a High output Ortofon somewhere sitting on a shelf. But they are currently discontinued or just out of production.
 
Back
Top Bottom