• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Will speakers without surrounds crackle?

pgray

New Member
Today I picked up a pair of relatively clean cerwin vega D-7s for $40 on Craigslist. Of course the foam surrounds are gone from the woofers and I planned to replace them.

I plugged them in to test them and both woofers crackle. My fear is that they're blown. My question is, will speakers without foam surrounds crackle or are they blown?

My appolgies if this sounds like an ignorant question.

GRM9S.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yes; they will crackle, snap and pop.
Try listening to them on their backs, with the woofers pointing up.

Don
 
The woofers are shot because of the surrounds. Don't play them at all before a simple refoam job.
 
The foam keeps the cone and voice coil centered. When it's not there the voice coil will rub and crackle being unsupported. If played loud and long enough it will weld together.
 
The foam keeps the cone and voice coil centered. When it's not there the voice coil will rub and crackle being unsupported. If played loud and long enough it will weld together.

Great. thanks a lot.

I read your answer in the voice of Don Vito Corleone.
 
Back
Top Bottom