• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Will_Emanuel's M-2 Restoration

Will_Emanuel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello all, just finished a rather lengthy restoration on an M-2 and wanted to document the process. This unit was quite easy to work on due to excellent service information and disassembly procedures in the service manual; Strongly recommend following Yamaha's instructions for disassembly. I've attached a BOM for all the parts used for my restoration. One note is that the replacement relays I have attached did not work in my unit. I'm unsure if I had received defective relays or if they are just incompatible. I had found photos of someone else using the same relays in their unit with success so I assumed they were compatible.
 

Attachments

Register to hide this ad
Ok, Let's begin.

bKXiaLn.jpeg


3eeVIXC.jpeg


My particular unit was all original and was in working condition when I received it. First order of business was disassembling the front panel assembly to expose the power supply / meter board.

EMhUTpP.jpeg


Once that was out of the way I was able to get a better look at the power supply, which appeared to be in great shape. Wrapping on the capacitors hasn't warped and there was no visible discoloration anywhere on the board.

Next step was disassembling each amp module, which consisted of removing the heatsink screws and flipping the entire assembly upside down sitting on the top of the unit for further disassembly.

o645iBW.jpeg


After desoldering the input wiring and disconnecting two JST connectors, the pre drive board was removed.

6nyGV7U.jpeg


This separator panel was then removed, exposing the drive PCB. The output transistors were then removed before freeing the drive PCB from the heatsink assembly.

XPs3g9T.jpeg


This same process was repeated for the left channel. After removing the left amp assembly we are left with this.

mz4oaqL.jpeg


One of the upgrades I desired for this unit was new binding posts, as the originals are hard to work with and really only work well with bare wire. My next task was freeing the rear panel so I could make these modifications. Quite a few screws needed to be removed as well as a few wires going to the binding posts and power switch before removing the rear panel.

LdUjcGs.jpeg


At this point the output board with speaker relays is now exposed just behind the rear panel.

64Ztxtq.jpeg


the input assembly including RCAs, level pots, and ground screw was removed at the same time when removing the rear panel.

QLFwczH.jpeg


Next, the two large power supply filter capacitors were removed from their enclosure on the underside of the unit.

ZNCroxj.jpeg


At this point the unit was as stripped down as I needed it to be.

ShzPni9.jpeg


Disassembly complete.
 
Next thing I tackled was the rear panel and the binding post modifications. The new posts I used were satin nickel WBT knockoffs from parts express. There is very little clearance for terminal depth inside the unit, so the new binding posts would need to be cut down to size. I first started by drilling out larger holes to accommodate the new posts.

64UgvEJ.jpeg


4QtMhH1.jpeg


A small notch was made on the top of each hole to allow for the notch on the plastic insulator on the new binding posts to prevent them from rotating under load. Next, the new posts were cut down to size one by one.

egOmkf5.jpeg


I used ring terminals for attaching the new output wiring to the new posts. these wires were crimped and soldered into place. After this, the new binding posts were installed.

ZGxaldB.jpeg


cP0jgxZ.jpeg


That wraps up the binding post upgrades. Now back to the rest of the amp.
 
First to tackle was the power supply board. All electrolytics were replaced, VD1212s Swapped, pass transistor replaced and all trimmers replaced as well.

YqZ5dPZ.jpeg


Amp boards were next. When I first removed them, I again found very few signs of use. No visible discoloration or any other signs of heat.

Q2r2mW8.jpeg


On the drive board, The bias trimmer was replaced, one electrolytic cap and four mylar caps were changed, all fusible resistors were replaced with modern metal film equivalents, and the VD1212 was replaced.

v7rWuyn.jpeg


Similarly on the pre drive board, all trimmers and electrolytics were replaced, yamaha brand mylars replaced with modern panasonic polypropylene caps, VD1212s replaced, and drivers TR221 and TR225 replaced with modern ON Semi equivalents.

Same changes were made to the right channel boards as well. Next, my attention was brought to the output board. Here the two yamaha mylar caps were replaced with panasonic polypros and the output relays replaced with new Omron equivalents. NOTE these relays were installed backwards in this photo. These relays work fine in this unit when the orientation is flipped.

NOdPMui.jpeg


The new Nippon Chemi-Con Filter caps were then installed.

USSUzM5.jpeg
 
Last edited:
What is wrong with the new MY2 relays ?
No clue. neither of them click over when I would toggle the speaker switches. I didn't look into them after quickly finding that using the originals solved the issue. I'll hopefully look back into it once I get a chance.
 
Next the new output wires were soldered to their respective locations on the output board and the rear panel was reinstalled.

iQzyfqH.jpeg


The RCA input board was then reinstalled

amPXaKS.jpeg


Before reassembling the amp, both heatsinks were given a bath in the sink to get all cleaned up for reinstallation

Z3S4qpm.jpeg


Along with this, the output devices were also all cleaned up and old thermal compound was removed in preparation for reinstallation.

S2l0ovT.jpeg


Next, the driver board was mounted to the clean heatsink and the output devices were installed with fresh micas and thermal compound.

podH9ZC.jpeg


KfqkduE.jpeg


Next the metal separator and pre driver PCB were reinstalled.

9SSSBc9.jpeg


At this point the input wires were reattached and that concluded the left channel amp reassembly.

YiDCKzP.jpeg


The same process was repeated for the right channel amp assembly.

Lastly, the various ring terminals leading to the power supply and amp boards were reattached to the new filter caps.

J0o27rB.jpeg


Finally the front panel assembly was reinstalled and then it was time for first start and calibration.

JGAxdXq.jpeg


All clear on the first start this time around, no issues other than the strange behavior with the new MY2 relays not engaging.

aSCmcNB.jpeg


After spending quite a while dialing in the calibration, I brought down the matching C-2A I previously restored for a first listen.

4CKy5G4.jpeg


And we are done! Everything is now sorted and the M-2 Lives again!

K3FuAVx.jpeg


lbkp8cL.jpeg


Lol0Cxb.jpeg


After spending a few days with it in my main system and needles to say I'm quite happy with it. I hope you all find this thread useful!

gRdNMY7.jpeg


wZiuHFR.jpeg


YhtDmcE.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom