• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Willsenton R8 problem...or I have a ghost in my house....

If I drop a small handful of coins on the floor in front of it, it changes the channel quite handily :rflmao:
That too. My kids were always trying to find new things to mess with the TV. I should have just cut the wire to the thing.
 
So this is my second go round with the Willsenton R8. Both that I've had starting doing the same thing after I had them for 2-3 weeks. I have been using it in two ways for now while my turntable is being repaired. I have been streaming through my Apple AirPort Express in the Aux 1, and I have my MacBook pro hooked up to it streaming Apple Music through the CD input. The first week or 2 have been flawless. Now, I'll be listening and the music will stop because it just switches the the input by itself. If I'm on CD...it will by itself switch to Aux 1....Aux 1 will switch to Aux 2 and the Triode/Ultralinear switch will also sometimes switch by itself. I thought my wife or son was just screwing with me and changing the inputs with the remote but they didn't touch it. I bought it through Amazon and the store I got it from said I was having some type of RF Interference and said they would send me a new control board to install. I didn't want to fool with that so I just returned it and they sent out another one. It doesn't do it in the first week but it happens after that. Anyone have any thoughts?
I have an R8 (with many of the Skunkie mods except the star grounding re-work and the 120/240v delete and I didn't re-route the heater wiring). I use mine with a Sonos Port for streaming and have had no issues. I have used an external DAC (Ares II) as well, and no problems. Your description of using the Airport Express in wireless network streamer mode caused me to reflect on some problems I had with the same setup a few years ago. The line out on the Airport was not exactly at standard line voltage and the amp I was using (a Rotel 7.1 ch HT receiver in 2 ch mode) required a very high volume setting to provide any useful signal to my speakers. Using a dedicated streamer/DAC fixed the problem as the line-in voltage was normal. I suggest you at least try a different source before you conclude the R8 is the problem.
 
I haven't checked this thread in a while obviously. For a while I covered over the eye on the front of the unit. My son had his Xbox in the same room so I figured it was that. After he moved the system, I didn't have problems or a long while. I even took the tape off and was able to use the remote. Then last week it started happening at an unbelievable rate. Switching channels and putting the volume down by itself. Maybe it is the AirPort Express. I'll have to look into getting a dedicated DAC for the system. The sound is great through the Klipsch LaScalas's but it's maddening that this keeps happening.
 
Some IR receivers are sensitive enough that I could point the remote at the opposite wall and it would pick up the reflection. Maybe open it up and check the circuit.

One thing I like about the R8 remote is that it's made of solid metal. On the down side there is no front-panel mute button, only on the remote.
 
So in case anyone was still curious about what was going on, I think it is fixed/modded. I was using a piece of blu painters tape to cover the eye for the remote and the problems kept coming. Whether I hook my macbook up or streamed through the AirPort Express it would change channels randomly or just no sound or slowly turn the volume down. My wife used the remote and I told her it wouldn't work because of the blue tape, but it still worked. I put a piece of black electrical tape over the eye and haven't had one hiccup. I do still plan on getting a dedicated DAC for the sound, but thought I would let anyone interested know. The stereo is in the Pool Room so there could be 4-5 people in there with bluetooth on waiting to play their song. Lately its been working great.
 
Chinese devices always have IR issues... I have a SoundArtist SA200IA amp and my Oppo Blu-Ray and Apple TV remote will control the amplifier in odd ways like switching inputs ... My Willsenton R8 is affected by my Pioneer AVR, JVC projector and Sony Blu-Ray remotes as well, it also seems to switch between inputs as well. It appears that the Chinese use very basic IR codes which other remotes can interpret.
 
So in case anyone was still curious about what was going on, I think it is fixed/modded. I was using a piece of blu painters tape to cover the eye for the remote and the problems kept coming. Whether I hook my macbook up or streamed through the AirPort Express it would change channels randomly or just no sound or slowly turn the volume down. My wife used the remote and I told her it wouldn't work because of the blue tape, but it still worked. I put a piece of black electrical tape over the eye and haven't had one hiccup. I do still plan on getting a dedicated DAC for the sound, but thought I would let anyone interested know. The stereo is in the Pool Room so there could be 4-5 people in there with bluetooth on waiting to play their song. Lately its been working great.
Consider a Wiim Pro Plus instead. It's a substantial upgrade in sound quality from Bluetooth and you can also use it as an external DAC.
 
FWIW, Sometimes older flat screen TVs that used cold cathode screen back lighting would spew a blanket of IR noise into the room when first turned on until the TV`s screen`s cold cathode back lighting warmed up after a few minutes of tuning it on, even, in my case, interfering reflecting the spewed IR interference off the room`s back wall from the TV`s screen !

It happened to me yrs. ago with an older manufactured 50" Sony flat screen & another member`s similar older non LED back lighted TV here on A/K as well.
I wouldn`t be surprised if devices like some LED light bulbs, CFLs or other similar light emitting items don`t radiate sporadic IR interference.
 
Back
Top Bottom