robert_kc
Super Member
Sometime within the next 6 months I need to buy a new PC. (I’m still running XP.) I’m leaning towards Windows 10, but Apple products are not completely out of the question.
I want native hi-res (24bit/192kHz) FLAC support (in addition to WAV and MP3), and the ability for a tablet (or smartphone) to access a desktop PC’s music files (including hi-res FLAC) via my home wireless router (standard Google fiber gizmo). I would then connect the tablet to one of my 5 vintage hi-fi systems via the tablet’s built-in analog stereo connector, or via a portable DAC – with the goal of no compromise in sound quality (i.e., no downsampling or audio format conversion).
I’d also like for the same solution to provide access to internet radio via my home wireless network and the tablet or smartphone.
From what I’ve read Windows 10 will support FLAC for PCs and tablets and smartphones. I don’t know what player Windows 10 will provide. And I don’t know if Windows 10 will natively support the streaming of high-res FLAC from a PC to a tablet or smartphone.
Will any of these scenarios work?
Will an NAS device be required with Windows 10 in order to do what I want?
Or, will it be necessary with Windows 10 to get a third-party audio player that supports client/server? (Will JRiver provide client/server functionality with Windows 10?)
On the other hand, my understanding is that Apple has convenient options for playing music on different devices (e.g., via Airport Express), but my understanding is that they don’t fully support FLAC – i.e., without downsampling and/or file conversion and/or 3rd party products and/or software “tricks”. Are there plans for Apple to fully support hi-res FLAC across its products?
I prefer a solution that is turn-key, 100% supported by a major vendor – i.e., not requiring complicated and/or unsupported work-arounds. (I’m not a PC expert – but not a Luddite either.)
Other potential options that I’m currently aware of:
Any additional information and suggestions will be appreciated.
I want native hi-res (24bit/192kHz) FLAC support (in addition to WAV and MP3), and the ability for a tablet (or smartphone) to access a desktop PC’s music files (including hi-res FLAC) via my home wireless router (standard Google fiber gizmo). I would then connect the tablet to one of my 5 vintage hi-fi systems via the tablet’s built-in analog stereo connector, or via a portable DAC – with the goal of no compromise in sound quality (i.e., no downsampling or audio format conversion).
I’d also like for the same solution to provide access to internet radio via my home wireless network and the tablet or smartphone.
From what I’ve read Windows 10 will support FLAC for PCs and tablets and smartphones. I don’t know what player Windows 10 will provide. And I don’t know if Windows 10 will natively support the streaming of high-res FLAC from a PC to a tablet or smartphone.
Will any of these scenarios work?
- Windows 10 PC –> Windows 10 smartphone/tablet
- Windows 10 PC -> Android smartphone/tablet
- Windows 10 PC -> Apple smartphone/tablet
Will an NAS device be required with Windows 10 in order to do what I want?
Or, will it be necessary with Windows 10 to get a third-party audio player that supports client/server? (Will JRiver provide client/server functionality with Windows 10?)
On the other hand, my understanding is that Apple has convenient options for playing music on different devices (e.g., via Airport Express), but my understanding is that they don’t fully support FLAC – i.e., without downsampling and/or file conversion and/or 3rd party products and/or software “tricks”. Are there plans for Apple to fully support hi-res FLAC across its products?
I prefer a solution that is turn-key, 100% supported by a major vendor – i.e., not requiring complicated and/or unsupported work-arounds. (I’m not a PC expert – but not a Luddite either.)
Other potential options that I’m currently aware of:
- Buy a Windows 10 laptop and carry it (and possibly a portable DAC) from room to room. (I.e., “sneaker-ware”.)
- Buy a MacBook Pro and carry it (and possibly a portable DAC) from room to room. Would something like Channel D Pure Music be required – or is that overkill? Is a simpler high-res FLAC player available for Apple computers?
- Buy a Pono if I want portable hi-res FLAC in a device that’s smaller than a laptop. (However this won’t provide internet radio.)
Any additional information and suggestions will be appreciated.