• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Winter is coming

The thing about cold weather here is not only the minus temps but when you figure in the wind/windchill almost becomes unbearable to the tune of -40c feels like -60 to -70 depending on how hard the wind is blowing.Similar weather for Minnesota and North Dakota usually:)
 
I live in Minnesota and my motto used to be 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding!

We have had mild winters the last few years so I can't say that now. Check out International Falls temps today.
 
Hey 11 for you 12 for me :)

I just checked the average snowfall in Minesota, wow there's a lot of snow
 
Here in California we might need a long sleeve shirt over a T-shirt a couple weeks out of the year. Otherwise T-shirts are good year round and my prep is limited to maybe buying some wiper blades for the car.:rolleyes:
 
Here in California we might need a long sleeve shirt over a T-shirt a couple weeks out of the year. Otherwise T-shirts are good year round and my prep is limited to maybe buying some wiper blades for the car.:rolleyes:

I also need to change wiper blades...:( those damn things are always broke:mad: :biggrin:
 
Winter is my favorite season. Of course, I spend it and NOT by choice in New Braunfels, TX where it never gets anywhere near cold enough for me. I have a lot of cold weather clothes that I will probably never wear or at least get little use out of. I have those clothes just in case...
 
I spent some time in northern Vermont in the winter. More than adequately cold for me -17F at night. Single digits in the day time.
I like cold weather to a degree. It's gets old, by late winter I'm generally ready for spring
 
Winter is my favorite season. Of course, I spend it and NOT by choice in New Braunfels, TX where it never gets anywhere near cold enough for me. I have a lot of cold weather clothes that I will probably never wear or at least get little use out of. I have those clothes just in case...

I really hope there will be no snow in Texas lol
 
I spent some time in northern Vermont in the winter. More than adequately cold for me -17F at night. Single digits in the day time.
I like cold weather to a degree. It's gets old, by late winter I'm generally ready for spring

I like winter too : hockey with kids on the street, ice fishing, snowshoe, skiing, etc.

But there's some inconvenience that I could easily live without
 
Is there any Aker preparing for the upcoming winter?

Here in northern Quebec winter is
Very cold : -30 -35 is commun
Very long : some people say that there's only two seasons : The last winter and the next winter.
And there's a lot of snow : we can barely see house from the street.

Winter car shelter, garden preparation, tire change, snowblower maintenance, small trees covering, plastic films on interior windows, etc. There's a lot to do each year.

Winter means no more big DIY audio project, but it's a good time for music listening. With a good strong beer like an American Barleywine it's perfect.
Uh uh, we're skipping winter this year, it's settled.
 
But hey these are the yrs of Global Warming where it's hotter where it's already hot so I guess we'll be colder than usual here:)
 
I spent my first 50 years of life in Fairbanks, Alaska, arguably the coldest city in N.A.. Seen with my own eyes -78F (without chill factor, just what the thermometer read) and temps would be sub -50 for a month at a time back in the 60's before all this global warming crap got going.. Worked for years up on the North Slope oil fields above the 70th parallel where the sun don't come up over the horizon for 50 days. Counting chill factor there were weeks on end we worked out side 7-10's in -100F One thing I learned, a room temp can of coke is chilled to a perfect temp temp in 3 minutes at -90. Leave it outside for 5 minutes and it explodes...

Now I am in the banana belt of Alaska, where 0F is about as cold as it gets although we have recently gotten 36 feet of snow..
I feel better prepared this year than years past, with a new log splitter, chainsaw, Honda Snow blower only a few years old. Even the dog has grew out his winter coat!I say let er rip! :cool:
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG
 
Actually coldest recorded temp was in snag yukon in 1947 at -81.4.No matter its damn cold way up north.What do you use for wood up there Alobar?Pine,spruce?Any hardwoods atall?Down here i use cedar and oak and maple.Lots of businesses put softwood pallets out for people to collect so kindling is plentiful.Im waiting for the city to replace poles around my area so i can go beg a couple of 40 foot poles for kindling.
 
Actually coldest recorded temp was in snag yukon in 1947 at -81.4.No matter its damn cold way up north.What do you use for wood up there Alobar?Pine,spruce?Any hardwoods atall?Down here i use cedar and oak and maple.Lots of businesses put softwood pallets out for people to collect so kindling is plentiful.Im waiting for the city to replace poles around my area so i can go beg a couple of 40 foot poles for kindling.
Yes, I have heard that snag had the official record cold when the military was building the alcan but no town exists there, a little lake and a campground. . When it is that cold, keeping a car moving is a real challenge. At -70, you stop for gas, keep the engine running, fill up and pay and get back in asap .chances are with a rear wheel drive, 15 minutes and the wheel bearing grease will become stiff and the front tires will slide across ice on their frozen flat spots.. then it's bumpity bump for half mile till the tires beat themselves round again.. I'm glad I don't live where it gets that cold anymore!

Here we get spruce, hemlock and for hardwood, not much but birch is about the best we have.. I save the birch for January. .
 
Back
Top Bottom