• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wireless Connectivity Dilemma

Soundork

Super Member
My system is in my signature.

I play Internet, digital file and CD content via a USB connection from my workstation to the DAC. I would like to eliminate this USB cable. It looks like I can do that by either providing WiFi or Bluetooth capability to my DAC.

I would prefer the WiFi connectivity, because of the better quality and because I would be able to use my workstation's DVD player to play CD's (or stream to my DAC from any computer connected to my network).

Which specific devices out there would allow me to add WiFi connectivity to my DAC? There are plenty of options with regards to DACs with WiFi capability, but I like my DAC and am not willing to replace it in the near term, just to add WiFi capability to it.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Soundork

P.S. I am aware of the concurrent thread on vintage/Bluetooth, but the answer to my question isn't in the first three pages of posts.
 
Register to hide this ad
It looks like your DAC has optical input, so a Wiim Mini or Pro should serve your needs. I'm not as familiar with using it to play local files, but I think it can be done.
 
It looks like your DAC has optical input, so a Wiim Mini or Pro should serve your needs. I'm not as familiar with using it to play local files, but I think it can be done.

Yes, via DLNA. Assuming OP has a Windows PC, very easy to set up.

Wifi is definitely the way to go. A Bluetooth solution will not provide a bit perfect signal, thereby doing a disservice to your nice DAC.
 
Last edited:
Not sure if that is a question. Obviously there are options. I have the equivalent to W3 and has worked great for years. OP could connect W3 sender to laptop W3 receiver to amp.
 
A Bluetooth connection will usually have a negative affect on sound quality, the gap is getting smaller with some of the latest codec's but its still inferior to a wired connection or WiFi streaming device.
 
OP stated he wants a wifi device. It appears Audioengine offers one; its $40 more than a Wiim Pro ($110 more than Wiim Mini), but without the bit-perfect performance of the Wiims..
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom