• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wireless streaming recommendations

kevinmasters

Well-Known Member
Hellooooooooo!:wave:

I recently decided I needed a way to wirelessly stream audio from my computer to my analog 2 channel systems, so I began to investigate. I looked at the Sonus stuff and the Logitech stuff. But here's the deal: I don't really listen to digital music that much so I don't really use iTunes and Pandora etc., but I want to stream ANY TYPE of audio wirelessly from my computer including Netflicks, Spotify, Youtube etc. From what I've been understanding, these units do not necessarily support these platforms but are more proprietary ink their software affiliations. Is there a good option for me?

I'll be running this into various types of SS and tube set ups.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin:yes:
 
Register to hide this ad
I think all the Apple Airport products have line out (3.5 mm plug) that doubles as an optical SPDIF, so you should be able to stream to it and then hook it up to a DAC via optical or connect it directly to the an amplifier via the 3.5 mm plug (it has a DAC built into it (edit: the Airport thingy)).
 
Last edited:
I have an AirPort Extreme can I use it with a DAC?

No airport extreme doesn't have an audio out. Only airport express for some reason.

I think your mac should be able to send all system audio via airplay without any additional software.

I would't get a DAC, at least at first. Just get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable and you should be all set.
 
Which Airport Extreme do you have - the Saucer, the flat pan, or the white tower?
Doesn't look like any of the Extreme units had audio out - but the Airport Express has
the 2 way out (minijack with embedded optical capability) ...

I'm doing that with my Jolida tube amp and the JBLs downstairs -
I originally ran the output of the Airport Express directly to my preamp
via 1/8 inch mini to dual RCA Y-cable - but I later went to a DAC
and that made a nice upgrade, even the $30 FIIO DAC from Amazon.

I can feed radio from iTunes on my MacPro - but you need Airfoil or similar software to dump
non-iTunes audio (like pandora, etc) to the Wifi link on your mac and then stream it to your
Airport Express linked system.

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/
 
Last edited:
I don't think you need airfoil if you are running the latest Mac OS. Use the airplay mirroring function.
 
I use an Airport Express optical to the $30 Fiio DAC, but you can also start by using the 3.5mm out.

I can stream anything from my iMac, iPhone or iPad using Airplay. iTunes, Google All Access, Amazon, etc. all works. I listen to a lot of NPR using the Tune In radio app. I have not found anything that won't stream using Airplay.

The AE is the way to go. I also have an AirPort Extreme which makes the Express double as a second wifi source in an area of the house that previously had a weak signal.
 
I don't think you need airfoil if you are running the latest Mac OS. Use the airplay mirroring function.

Very nice - had to use Airfoil last time I tried -
hadn't tried it since - thanks for the info!
 
Very nice - had to use Airfoil last time I tried -
hadn't tried it since - thanks for the info!
One cool thing about Airfoil is that it can remotely control the speaker that gets the signal and volume (via an app) or send the audio to multiple locations at the same time. It will also accept an Airplay signal and allow you to send the audio to different Airplay devices simultaneously.

Also, I have Spotify on my mac and when I want to control it, I use an app called Remoteless on my iPhone. It has Airfoil built in, so I can control Spotify and the speaker playing it right from the app.

Not really important for the OP, but wanted to let people know why Airfoil is still a useful option for some.
 
One cool thing about Airfoil is that it can remotely control the speaker that gets the signal and volume (via an app) or send the audio to multiple locations at the same time. It will also accept an Airplay signal and allow you to send the audio to different Airplay devices simultaneously.

Also, I have Spotify on my mac and when I want to control it, I use an app called Remoteless on my iPhone. It has Airfoil built in, so I can control Spotify and the speaker playing it right from the app.

Not really important for the OP, but wanted to let people know why Airfoil is still a useful option for some.

I think Airplay mirroring can do all that stuff too.
 
So no go folks. Exteme does not have an audio out even with a DAC. I bought the Express to pair with the Extreme for audio.
 
I bought one of these. So easy to use as anything on your phone or tablet just streams easily. I've had it about a year and not one issue ever. It's got a nice built in DAC that has made internet streaming sound better than it did in my previous setup.
Since it's Bluetooth, you just discover the device and that's it.
A little pricey

http://massfidelity.com/products/relay-wireless-bluetooth-dac

Yeah but isn't Bluetooth lossy? Airport express is super quick setup too. Helps if you have an iOS device but you can do it from a Mac or PC with the setup utility.
 
Back
Top Bottom