• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wonky Right channel Pioneer SA-1050

ingalook

New Member
Hi everyone, now I know there are many threads relating to a single channel not working - but I think my issue is not one I've seen exactly:

My AMP generally functions normally using an attached Tuner and Turntable.

With my AUX running (I'm using a PC through a Topping DAC) the amp works on both channels ONLY when my PC volume is maxed AND the media I'm listening to is mid to high levels. Anything less results in my Right channel basically turning off and coming in sporadically with some static like the music is trying to come through.

This also happens sometimes on CDs and Tuner if there is a sustained low volume section in the audio. So it seems tied to the input volume.

I have changed out the big Caps, certainly improved the sound but the problem is still there.

I am wondering what should be my next course of action?
 
Register to hide this ad
Have you cleaned the controls or replaced the relay? No idea why you replaced the caps.

One of the caps was swolen, so I just replaced them all. Controls were cleaned (they never generated any noise and were silky smooth to operate)... didn't mess with the relay at all, I mean it clicks on so I assumed it was doing its job.
 
I'll bet that cap wasn't swollen. It's a classic misunderstanding of a popped up piece of plastic under the wrap. Maybe it was swollen.:idea:

The shotgun approach is not the answer. People will say, "well, it needed a recap anyways" but you discovered it did nothing for your problem.:oops:

:biggrin: I'm not dissin on ya or mad at you, I just see this approach sooo many times and it never solves the problem. :biggrin:

The relay has contacts inside of it so regardless if it clicks or not, sometimes get electrically pitted or dirty and need to be cleaned or replaced.
 
I would clean the switches -- nearly all equipment that old has gotten tarnish on the contacts. Pay close attention to the tape monitor switches as they are rarely used (quite possibly never on some equipment) and when you cycle them after 30 or more years, they make very poor contact. Have that issue on all my old Kennys. A little DeOxit fixes them right up.

Might clean the RCA sockets too, they are also prone to oxidation and poor contact, ditto for source switches. Solder joints can crack as well, and some designs transmit quite a bit of leverage to the solder joints on the RCA sockets. Cracked solder where they connect to the board will result in poor signals.

All signals follow the same path after the selection and tape monitor switches, so if one input is flaky for some reason, suspect the connections and switches.
 
One of the caps was swolen, so I just replaced them all. Controls were cleaned (they never generated any noise and were silky smooth to operate)... didn't mess with the relay at all, I mean it clicks on so I assumed it was doing its job.
I really doubt it was swollen, the plastic just often bends out and appears to be. And regardless, bad main caps would not produce what is happening.
Try tapping on the relay to see if sound cuts in and out. I would replace it anyways.
 
Back
Top Bottom