• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Woo Hoo! I'm getting a new radio station!

pmsummer

simul justus et peccator
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 9, 2009

CONTACT:
Deborah Johnson
Senior VP, Marketing, KERA
214-740-5432
djohnson@kera.org


KERA ACQUIRES 91.7 FM
North Texas Multimedia Organization Adds New Public Radio Station


DALLAS/FORT WORTH - North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc. (KERA) announced today that it has purchased the non-commercial radio license 91.7 FM, a full-market station with broadcast coverage in greater Dallas, Fort Worth and Denton.

“This acquisition allows KERA to significantly advance its mission and strategic direction by increasing public media services for the people of North Texas,” says Mary Anne Alhadeff, KERA’s President & CEO. “The new station will be a public radio music format programmed with the North Texas audience in mind. It will be a terrific complement to KERA’s news and information station 90.1 FM and a substantial addition to KERA’s overall multimedia services for the public.” The new station will begin broadcasting its full schedule in the fall of 2009.

KERA has yet to select a name for the new station. The programming on 91.7 FM will be within the public radio “Triple A” (Adult Album Alternative) music format with diverse, adult-oriented playlists covering a broad spectrum of music such as folk, acoustic, world music, alternative and indie rock and country. Among the programs under consideration for the new station are World Café (distributed by NPR), Echoes (from Public Radio International), Undercurrents (from Native Voice One), American Routes (from American Public Media), plus music specials. NPR news headlines will be broadcast at the top of the hour. KERA’s own local programs will include interviews, studio performances and arts-related news and commentary.

For years, KERA’s public radio station 90.1 FM carried a mix of news and music. In 1996, the weekday format was changed to news and information in order to provide the strongest possible public-affairs programming. “I arrived at the station in late 2005,” recalls Alhadeff, “and right away I heard from long-time listeners who said that they appreciated the expanded public radio news schedule but missed the music programs.” During two radio audience focus groups in 2008, the loss of the music programs was still remembered. Nothing similar has taken its place on free, non-commercial radio in the North Texas broadcast area.

:banana::banana::banana:

We've got a great Classical station (WRR), one of the nation's best Jazz stations (KNTU), a really great Alt/Olde Country station (KHYI), and a great wacko community station (KNON), but no "College/NPR" music station. Now we will. Hell, I may even pledge.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
If it's anything like "The Current" (MPR's alternative station in Minneapolis-St. Paul) expect a l a r g e, diverse playlist. You should enjoy it.
 
If it's anything like "The Current" (MPR's alternative station in Minneapolis-St. Paul) expect a l a r g e, diverse playlist. You should enjoy it.

That's how KERA started out for it's first 26 years, before it went to all news/talk 12 years ago.
 
:thmbsp:Good for you! You would think a city the size of Atlanta might have decent radio, but, alas, there is nothing like your new station. So, will we now be seeing photos of your tuner in action?
 
Last edited:
Glad to see some good news. Wish WDET would go back to their old music format.
 
Hopefully they will be able to squeeze in some music between the pledge drives.

They'll be plenty of pledge drives, alright. They borrowed $18M to buy the frequency.

Bad news: The City of Dallas may be forced to sell the area's only 24/7 Classical station (WRR, 101.1 FM) because of the budget crisis.
 
Last edited:
Glad to hear it, pm. Texas sure does have their fair share of great stations. Been out of Austin for several years now, and I still miss KUT. Maybe I should move back there now that I have the MAC4100 tuner to do it justice.
 
I still miss KUT. Maybe I should move back there now that I have the MAC4100 tuner to do it justice.

Hell, they're even broadcasting S T E R E O now!

(KUT in Austin was one of the last FM stations in the nation to broadcast in stereo.)
 
I’m new here.
I’m … well not aware of this radio stations thing on the forums here! Lol!
But wow ok, how interesting!!
Says the former 1st phone, WNBS, WKYX, WKYQ, part timer Tube glow and Meter observer, wire puller , from back in 1980 lol
 
Back
Top Bottom