• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

Titebond III worked fine & peeled easily without any assistance from tabs or tape, got the tough spot out that the more traditional cleaning methods didn't.

Thanks! II seems to be the better choice, especially for cleanup. (Quote)

Don't think the cleanup will be an issue, the wood glue by nature does not stick to the vinyl. II is the less expensive option though.
 
Thanks! II seems to be the better choice, especially for cleanup. (Quote)

Don't think the cleanup will be an issue, the wood glue by nature does not stick to the vinyl. II is the less expensive option though.

I picked Titebond III just because I heard that there's apparently less static cling as you climb up the model numbers. There are reports though (and I would believe it) that Titebond II cures and peels the fastest, Titebond III took forever to dry :boring:
 
I picked Titebond III just because I heard that there's apparently less static cling as you climb up the model numbers. There are reports though (and I would believe it) that Titebond II cures and peels the fastest, Titebond III took forever to dry :boring:

I thought the reason people weren't using TBIII was because it contains grit of some kind....
 
Tried the glue thing (Tighbond II) on a record last night. Its a record with a lot of ticks in the first minute or so of the first track on both sides and a few spots throughout where it sounds like one channel or the other (for lack of a better term) "farts". I had already SB'd this record so it was getting fairly quiet. The Glue did improve the ticks a bit, but the farting sound is still there. It must be one of those records with bubbles in the vinyl … ughhh. Anyway, the glue process was easier than I expected, produced a way cool thin sheet of glue that looked like a record, and it did take some addition pops and clicks away. So, all in all it was fun and somewhat of a success.
 
Wood glue is designed to not bond to the plastic that vinyl LPs are made of.

78s clean well with water and a toothbrush.

Wrong.

Wood glue is designed to glue wood. I personally have an LP that PVA wood glue will not release from. Read the thread there is a mention by name of the brand to avoid and the brands to use are the recommended ones.

Not all PVA wood glues are suitable.
 
I'm still wishing you'd try to reglue with Titebond II or Aleenes Tacky Glue, see if that will lift it up and off.
 
I'm still wishing you'd try to reglue with Titebond II or Aleenes Tacky Glue, see if that will lift it up and off.

It's not scraps that need to be lifted off after gluing. It is the entire coating that will not budge years later. You cannot even get it to begin to peel. The record itself has bent in the effort to get the glue off. No kidding.

It is simply the wrong PVA glue and I have made the warning more than once on this thread.

Users need to keep with the recommended glues and avoid the one that I used. Parfix High Strength Wood Glue.
 
Avoid like the plague:

f2e78c96-e8f3-4e15-8d72-dcf1c60e47f5.jpg
 
Has anyone tried wood glue on a rubber platter mat? I just got one that is fairly dusty and has some deep grooves, so it's not easy to clean. I wonder if Titebond II would peel off rubber as well as it does off vinyl.
 
Saw a gif of this online today... So I started another thread... One of the gents was nice enough to point me to this one without calling me a complete dummy.

https://www.gfycat.com/MassiveOrneryHammerheadbird

Check out the gif of this guys pulling off this method in about 15 minutes total for 1 vinyl. Very impressive.

I'm planning on trying in the next week with a crappy old vinyl.
 
I have tried wood glue and think it does remove almost all the debris....its not as quick as my ultrasonic v-8 & vpi 16.5 but its much cheaper....I guess it depends on your availability of time...
 
Saw a gif of this online today... So I started another thread... One of the gents was nice enough to point me to this one without calling me a complete dummy.

https://www.gfycat.com/MassiveOrneryHammerheadbird

Check out the gif of this guys pulling off this method in about 15 minutes total for 1 vinyl. Very impressive.

I'm planning on trying in the next week with a crappy old vinyl.

Great gif! Pretty much my method to a t.
 
Tight bond 2 works very well. I don't know about cheaper in the long run. I suspect cleaning a thousand LPs with wood glue vs your setup may start to equal in pricing. I don't know after how many hours your ultrasonic tank will die so that might have to be factored in. But the replacement cost of just the tank can't be so crazy right?


Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.
 
I just recently acquired about 20 albums that had been sitting in a garage for years attracting dirt and dust. They looked completely horrible. I first rinsed them with distilled water, then used the vinegar/alcohol/ water solution to clean, then rinsed again with distilled water. I then got the Titebond II and ran a moderate film on them with an old turntable, let them sit over night, peeled off the glue (which actually comes off very easily, once you get started), and the records come out looking, and sounding great. There were a couple that I ran through twice and it made even more of a difference because there was still a little popping here and there in the audio. I'm now going back and looking through my older albums and giving them a thorough cleaning. It is definitely a cheap way to revitalize your albums!
 
Tried this method for the first time on a four decades plus copy of The Rolling Stones' "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out"... When I first played the LP, it was riddled with loads of crackles and pops. I would rate it a G to Fair condition. The LP has had so much mileage to begin with so I was not expecting a miracle. After the treatment, it is now a strong VG-. There still are some crackles but from it was previously but has been reduced dramatically. Much more listenable. Down the road, just for posterity, I'll give it another run through with the glue.

Next up is CSN&Y's "Deja Vu"...

It was an easy application though it requires some touch. I picked up a junker table at a Goodwill, then a 16 ounce bottle of TiteBond II then off I go. It is time intensive work but the results could be worth it if my first attempt is an indication. I plan on employing it on the noisiest titles in my library.
 
Last edited:
I tried this method on an animals lp that I Was going to throw out. It made huge improvement so I did a few more and was pleased with the results. Eventually i picked up an ultrasonic cleaner and can now do up to 8 records at a time . Due to the $1400 layout of cash, I decided to clean records on the side and have been slowly paying the "ultrasonic V-8" rcm off. My assessment is that the wood glue is as good as the ultrasonic overall but much more time consuming. I might add that directly after running through the ultrasonic bath, i finish on a VPI 16.5 rcm. My thoughts are that although the ultrasonic does a great job, there may be a few loose particulates that were loosened but not removed. This i get with the VPI. It may be overkill as the records that get just an ultrasonic bath sound amazing.
 
Back
Top Bottom