• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

woofer break in

rodman101

Active Member
Conversation with mechanical engineer today who is also audio enthusiast about 15" paper cone woofer break in. For my application was recommending 2 hours of 35 Hz sine wave followed by 4 of pink noise. Claiming that the pink noise is key to "modulus of elasticity" blah blah blah... of the paper fibers allowing them relax and provide more "rebound". Thoughts anyone??
 
Register to hide this ad
At what volume?
What about a woofer of different size and material?
He forgot about burn-in with reversed polarity for a better re-rebound.
...

Playing Pink for 6 hours straight will yield the same results with equal annoyance.

He should ask the school, that granted him the engineering degree, a full refund.
You're better off with a Thai masseuse relaxing your fibers.
 
No need to over-think it. Just use them. Any "break-in" will occur naturally over time.

The way you described it, it almost sounds like he is suggesting that if you played the "wrong" frequencies from the woofer during the break-in period, that it would break in incorrectly, which is absurd.
 
Well, pink sound is every frequency, and the low frequency is probably more to relax the spider some. As long as your woofers can go that low. If not, pick a higher low frequency.
But then, just playing music through them would do the same thing I would think.
Getting the spiders to relax some would be the most important thing I would think. I've seen recommendations to loosen up spiders in some full rang drivers in the several hundred hour range.
 
Well, pink sound is every frequency, and the low frequency is probably more to relax the spider some. As long as your woofers can go that low. If not, pick a higher low frequency.
But then, just playing music through them would do the same thing I would think.
Getting the spiders to relax some would be the most important thing I would think. I've s
een recommendations to loosen up spiders in some full rang drivers in the several hundred hour range.
Maybe brown noise for a woofer break-in (just a WAG on my part)? Use a phone app or YouTube loop. :idea:

white pink brown noise.jpg

From the diyAUDIO Forum.
 
I used to lay new speakers down face first on the carpet (grill on to provide some excursion space), turn up some bass heavy music, and close the door. I'd let them play for a few hours. Whatever loosens up the driver suspension parts will do fine. I never got very scientific about it, but it's a fairly audible transition over the first few hours, as it allows the drivers to get closer to their rated Fs.
 
Last edited:
Maybe brown noise for a woofer break-in (just a WAG on my part)? Use a phone app or YouTube loop. :idea:

View attachment 3853194

From the diyAUDIO Forum.
Ya, white noise wouldn't be good at all. I have an old BSR spectrum analyzer that has a pink noise generator. It came with a small microphone with a long cord. The idea was to put the mic where you sat when listening to music. Then turn one the pink noise. You then adjusted the sliders on your EQ so that the display on the analyzer showed a flat responce. I guess you could try to do that with just a bass and treble control, or a midrange control too if you had one.
Pink noise is just as annoying to listen to as listening to Pink's music.
 
Last edited:
I used to lay new speakers down face first on the carpet (grill on to provide some excursion space), turn up some bass heavy music, and close the door. I'd let them play for a few hours. Whatever loosens up the driver suspension parts will do fine. I never got very scientific about it, but it's a fairly audible transition over the first few hours, as it allows the drivers to get closer to their rated Fs.

The simple answer is to put them face-to-face and wire one out phase from the other. Lots of excursion, lots of cancellation. Or, … just use them.
 
Back
Top Bottom