• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Woofer paper surround replacement (Marantz Imperial 6)

Pentotark

Active Member
Right now I am going through the process of cleaning and restoring a pair of Marantz Imperial 6 speakers
When I unmounted the woofer I noticed there is a paper surround that is extremely fragile, broken or unglued from the bottom, where the rubber of the woofer is glued.

Here a photo.

I had a look around and I don't seem to find a replacement for this. Can you guys help me with this?

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
If the rubber surround is good, just reglue the paper gasket holding it down. Use masking tape or small spring clamps to hold it down until the glue dries. I have a pair of 6's and use them every day. Nice speakers. While the woofer is out you may want to replace the old capacitor in the crossover. Its 7uf, but a 6.8uf is well within specs. and much easier and cheaper to find. A PP film cap will work fine and will sound better than the old cap.
 
If the rubber surround is good, just reglue the paper gasket holding it down. Use masking tape or small spring clamps to hold it down until the glue dries. I have a pair of 6's and use them every day. Nice speakers. While the woofer is out you may want to replace the old capacitor in the crossover. Its 7uf, but a 6.8uf is well within specs. and much easier and cheaper to find. A PP film cap will work fine and will sound better than the old cap.
Oh thank you very much for your advices. I tried to search for 6.8uf PP capacitors but they comes in many types. Which one should I go for?
 
I used a Dayton brand from Partsexpress. Being in Italy I dont know whats available to you. Try to get something in the 5% to 10% tolerance range. Many you will see will be in the 300 to 600 volt range, thats fine also. I tend to stay in the $5 to $10 US range. No need to spend crazy money for them. The original is a non polar electrolytic and they dry out over time. Thats why I and many others use film caps, they last much longer. Everyone has a favorite brand. I try not to get caught up in that debate. Try to use as much of the old cap leads as you can so that you can hot glue the new cap to the crossover board.
 
It should work, but maybe harder to work with. Look for some axial types. Tubular with a lead sticking out of each end. The one you linked is more for circuit boards.
 
Last edited:
Actually, If I'm not mistaken Solen is located in France which would be closer and possibly have all the parts you may need. I am running a pair of Imperial 7. From the picture above it looks as though your issue is with the surround gasket and not the surround itself. I'd do what lavane had suggested about plying some glue to it and then get something to hold it in place. Should be golden... Good luck.
I did search for it but prices are all listed in Canadian Dollars, so I guess it is a Canadian shop.
 
Actually, If I'm not mistaken Solen is located in France which would be closer and possibly have all the parts you may need. I am running a pair of Imperial 7. From the picture above it looks as though your issue is with the surround gasket and not the surround itself. I'd do what lavane had suggested about plying some glue to it and then get something to hold it in place. Should be golden... Good luck.
Those will work. :thumbsup: As MarZutra stated, Solen should be easy to find their and mundorf too. Ive used Solen caps in a few tube amp builds.
 
Ok. didn't know that. Im almost positive they are made in France. Oh, Well you can take advantage of our schittly horrible rancidly low dollar..LOL
That is true, but what would break the deal is custom takes once they cross Italian borders T.T
I am tempted tho... the prices there are so convenient!
 
Back
Top Bottom