• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Words that were once common, now gone extinct

CoogarXR

Super Member
I have been working on my kitchen, and every time I am in a home improvement store and say the word "linoleum" nobody knows what I am talking about. Of course, it's called "sheet vinyl" now. But I will continue to say linoleum for the rest of my life. Because, I'm at that age where I am done updating my vocabulary on trivial things.

So I thought I'd make a thread about extinct words. It can even be local things. Like the gas station near my old house will forever be "SuperAmerica" to me, because that's what it was when I went there. It's changed names a million times since, but my wife and I will call it "SuperAmerica" till we croak.

What about you? What are your belligerently permanent words?
 
Register to hide this ad
Stuff like this is exactly what I try to resist as I become older. I like language too much to not adopt new words and bring back older ones. Change is good. Its how we advance.

One word I miss is rapscallion. It's one of those that sounds like what it means.
 
Last edited:
One word I miss is repscallion. It's one of those that sounds like what it means.
Then you probably won't like this: it's actually "rapscallion".

I have been working on my kitchen, and every time I am in a home improvement store and say the word "linoleum" nobody knows what I am talking about. Of course, it's called "sheet vinyl" now.
I believe "linoleum" is a material unique unto itself and largely obsolete, although it may still be available somewhere. Sheet vinyl is another thing altogether.
 
Back
Top Bottom