• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Worst Cover Versions of All Time

Cars is a fairly tolerable movie, in fact one of the most tolerable for that demographic. Some of those films make me want to rip my hair out...the cover version of Life is a Highway....not so tolerable.

Don't get me wrong... I love the movie... The late Joe Ranft's masterpiece. I have the blu-ray of that one and watch it quite a bit if I'm bored. The second one, without his genius steering the way (or Paul Newman's)? Don't love it as much. Still not awful though. No, I just hate Rascal Flatts' ultra-compressed, over-processed, cheap, molded-plastic, "Made In China" version of country music...
 
Dread Zeppelin is WAY more than Metal Elvis imho.

Yeah, Dread Zep was MY generation. They were popular among my circle of friends in CT (musicians, deadheads, and pot-smoking yuppies). They're like the freak-show exhibit at some cheap, low-budget traveling circus. You're a little weirded-out by it, but you can't look away...
 
Last edited:
William Shatner "singing" Mr Tambourine Man? ..oh yeah I forgot the parody...:scratch2:

How about Britney Spears doing Satisfaction?
 
Whitney Houston singing I Will Always Love You. More like yelling it. Can't stand the song. Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt had such beautiful versions of that song. I really don't understand that the BodyGuard soundtrack sold over 11 million copies! :dunno:

Michael Bolton's version of Sittin' On the Dock Of The Bay was pretty dreadful also.

Then there is the infamous Mrs. Miller singing A Hard Day's Night!
 
....

3. Michael Bolton - "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" - Many to choose from with this particular "artist" (for a true test of sonic endurance, try to sit through "When a Man Loves a Woman" without jumping out of a window), but I chose the Otis Redding classic because A) it was already an overplayed song to begin with and B) covering a song by one of the greatest singers who ever lived only serves to illustrate by contrast what a truly awful singer you yourself are. At least you don't hear this one on the radio nearly as much as the original. Which brings us to....

Agree with your other selections too...but for me this is #1. Well said.
 
Agree with Manson. There are some great covers out today though in my opinion like Aidens-Cry Little Sister or The Used with MCR covering Under Pressure (not to mention a ton more) I have a soft spot for covers and have a ton! However We The Kings butchered Caught up in you, Disturbed missed the boat on Shot Through The Heart, Who can forget Worst though that I have caught recently....Kesha covering Bob Dylans-Dont think twice its alright.
 
Pearl Jam's cover of J. Frank Wilson's tear-jerker classic "Last Kiss" made me cry for all the wrong reasons.

Bananarama's version of "Venus" is unfit for planet Earth.

"We've Got Tonight" by Kenny Rogers and Sheena Eastman makes you pray for tomorrow.
 
Pearl Jam's cover of J. Frank Wilson's tear-jerker classic "Last Kiss" made me cry for all the wrong reasons.

Bananarama's version of "Venus" is unfit for planet Earth.

"We've Got Tonight" by Kenny Rogers and Sheena Eastman makes you pray for tomorrow.

Excellent choices. I probably forgot about the Pearl Jam :thumbsdn: cover for good reason, or else it would have made the list. Bananarama really butchered the hell out of "Venus", didn't they? I have the Shocking Blue original on 45, think I'll spin it this weekend.
 
However, I have such a decades-long lust for Sheena Easton, I couldn't bear to put her on a "worst" list of anything, even if I do agree with you. I'll blame Kenny Rogers for that one.
 
Van Heusen - Where Have All The Good Times Gone?
The Who - Dancing In The Streets
Metallika - Turn The Page
Rush - Crossroads
The Small Faces - If I Were A Carpenter
Tony Bennet - Elenore Rigby
The Grateful Dead - The Race Is On

i do like some of these, but for all the wrong reasons

Hmm, I'm surprised I have not heard The Who doing Dancing In The Streets. I'll have to look that one up just for my own abusment.:D
I have great respect for Rush and like them a heap, but yes, their rendition of Crossroads is pretty bad. They kick butt on The Seeker though surprisingly.
 
Back
Top Bottom