• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Worth $$ to go from Sennheiser HD580 to HD660 'phones? ...etc, etc.

jdmccall

Super Member
I ask because I live where I can't audition very many good headphones. I'm a big Sennheiser fan and have had my 580's since the mid 90's. I also have a pair of 380 Pro's I picked up along the way. I much prefer the 580's to the 380's but I've read good things about the 660 model. If I catch a sale I might get a pair for $400. The "Mass Drop" ones may be cheaper, but I don't know about the provenance of them. All opinions and ideas welcome!
 
Register to hide this ad
I haven't heard the 650s, but I converted my 580s to 650s, and I definitely preferred the way they sounded as 580s. I believe the 650s and 660s are very similar (like how the 580 and 600 are very similar).
 
I had a pair of HD580‘s for about 27 years (bought from J&R Music World in 1995). Great mid range, no bottom end though. Paid $200 for them in 1995, sold them last year for $300 and picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD660S2. Perfect for my classic rock collection. If you like a warmer sound with good detail, go with the 660S2.

IMG_3540.jpeg
 
Last edited:
You sold 27-yr.-old 580's for $300? Impressive!

I don't want to sell my 580's, though. I'd prefer to semi-retire them to a different system. I guess I'll keep my eye out for a sale and also investigate the mass drop version. Thanks!
 
I bought some of those last summer and really like them. I use them for jazz and classical. As a bassist I like that they seem to have a touch more bass sound to them, without being thumpy. Very comfortable too. I've used Grados for a long time but after our kitten chewed through the cords on a couple of pairs I found these on the summer Amazon Black Friday and took the plunge.


I had a pair of HD580‘s for about 27 years (bought from J&R Music World in 1995). Great mid range, no bottom end though. Paid $200 for them in 1995, sold them last year for $300 and picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD660S2. Perfect for my classic rock collection. If you like a warmer sound with good detail, go with the 660S2.

View attachment 3139345
 
My son and I both have the 580's. Great cans, very clear and even sounding.

My son also has a set of 650's, which we think sound better and more extended than the 580's.

I have the Mass Drop HD6XX's, which sound identical to my son's 650's.
The Mass Drop HD6XX'S are an incredible bargain at $200.

We use either a Schiit Valhalla 2 or a Darkvoice 336SE headphone amp to drive our cans.
 
So, what's the difference in the Sennheiser and Mass Drop 660's? I don't even know why or how the Mass Drop can exist.
 
They sound and look the same to me.
Why and how does Mass Drop work? Mass Drop's business model seems to offer a manufacturer guaranteed sales for units ordered. It's like they take pre-orders and then negotiates a price with a manufacturer.
Google them.
 
If you want to demo the 650's- Amazon has them for $295.
If you want to demo the 660S2- Amazon has them for $399.95.
Amazon has an excellent return policy, you can demo and return headphones.
 
You could always send the 580s back to Sennheiser to be reconditioned. That is what I did with my 590s.
 
Back
Top Bottom