• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Would I regret replacing my vintage Luxman with NEW Luxman?

Warm_tunes

Member
I currently own (and love) a showroom-condition Luxman CL40 preamp, which I have paired with a recently recapped & restored M2000 power amp. I also have a recently recapped & restored C1010 preamp, which unfortunately I have no use for at this time.

I absolutely love the transparent, magical sound of the CL40 paired with the powerful, fast, dynamic M2000. For a few months I had it paired with a PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 but eventually grew to feel that the bottom end was a bit too "cottony" for my tastes. The M2000 fit the bill to correct this.

HOWEVER - I do feel like I have a lot of gear for my small living room/listening room. Additionally there are some occasional "vintage" quirks where I have to tap the M2000's attenuator on power-up, or a scratchy sound comes out of nowhere and disappears.

Aside from that, the CL40/M2000 combo sounds end-game amazing into my La Scala IIs.

But I have recently been reading the rave reviews of the Luxman L-509X and worry that I've been bitten by the bug. It's one of the best-reviewed integrated amps I've ever seen and I have visions of simply running my Hegel DAC directly into this beast and having a simple setup that will last me for decades.

I am just concerned that I would have buyer's remorse and discover that the CL40 and M2000 combo still sounds BETTER, or different enough that I would miss the holographic imaging and staging of the CL40. To afford the L-509X, I'd unfortunately have to sell all my vintage gear.

What do you guys think?
 
Register to hide this ad
I would imagine at that price point you could find a dealer that would let you demo the unit in your home with your equipment.

It can't hurt to ask......
 
Paired my recently restored M-4000 with some new Piega speakers from Switzerland
the restored amp is most definitely up to the task SQ wise.

Prior to restoration not so much.
 
You must like 'something' about the orig. sound you massed. Perhaps just listen to some transistor radio for a few days and then run the gear again. Perhsps rearrange the furniture for a different sound? I.e. I run my sta-2300 not often per month as I'm testing something but when I do I'm always satisfied.
 
You must like 'something' about the orig. sound you massed. Perhaps just listen to some transistor radio for a few days and then run the gear again. Perhsps rearrange the furniture for a different sound? I.e. I run my sta-2300 not often per month as I'm testing something but when I do I'm always satisfied.
I do like my original/current sound... I love it, in fact I'd go so far as to say the CL40 may be one of the greatest preamps ever made... BUT I am kind of in a downsize mode right now - less cables, less boxes, less hassle... and the L-509X seems to fit the bill, but I'm just worried after the $$$$ investment it may not measure up sound-wise to the current vintage separates.
 
That is a tough call. I have owned many Luxman equipment. I found my sound with the M03. The early 80's integrates I was not happy with. However every power amp I owned had a very similar sound signature. I can't afford Luxman from 2000 and up so I can't compare but I have never been disappoonted except with the l480 or l450 integrates.
 
I think it's a toss-up which you would prefer, but selling gear to fund a new purchase should only be done after the new purchase proves itself, imo.

I agree with this completely.
You may love the new integrated but if not and you’ve already sold your old gear then you’re stuck. Plus it would be nice to be able to do a long A/B over a few weeks to get to know the differences.
 
I think it's a toss-up which you would prefer, but selling gear to fund a new purchase should only be done after the new purchase proves itself, imo.
Very true, I would be paying outright for the new integrated amp then selling some other odds and ends (Oppo 205, a laptop, etc) to help make up the difference. I will likely hold onto the CL40 forever (and the L-509X allows for a separate preamp if that ends up sounding best), but the M2000 and C1010 would likely be on the way out the door to help offset the expense of the L-509X.
 
Last edited:
I'd go with what you have that you love.. I'm going to get rid of some stuff.. new projects whatever.. Keep maybe a couple amps for for a change.
 
Either way what you decide I don't thing you can go wrong with that Luxman. It truly is spectacular in looks and sound
 
You might, you might not.
My ears are not going to tell me what you will hear with your ears.
 
I wouldn't sell the M2000 before giving the new Luxman a long audition.
 
It's hard to imagine that Luxman L-509X would sound anything other than superb JM2¢.
But that's the thing with audio,we all know it can be nothing short of throwing the dice.
Even used that Luxman constitutes a pricey gamble...

Thing is it's those dang sexy VU meters that lure you in,it's like a siren's call to a fella like me.

Anyhow good luck with the decision making process on this deal.

Bret P.
 
Last edited:
My thought is that if you love the current sound but have some "vintage" issues (i.e. maintenance issues) a refurb of the gear you love is a much safer way to go.

Selling a prized bit of kit is almost universally regretted in my experience.
 
I wouldn't sell the M2000 before giving the new Luxman a long audition.
Reviving an October thread with this comment. Maybe @Warm_tunes, who hasn't been here since early Dec is evaluating the 509 and can come back and tell us what is going on.


It's time to get the M2000 serviced to make it right. Have you got an amp that will work in its stead for that? Where are you, there is a great Luxman Tech in ...

As to the change, you seem very happy with what you have. I would expect the new unit to have a cleaner sound than the M2000 but I don't know about the house sound Luxman is known for and how it would change over the decades. If it loses that magic you have you would not want to make the move. Any possibility you could find the 509 and buy it and if it works for you move the others on and if not sell it on? Won't take too long to make the determination, I don't think...here on AK that is usually years but I know some that once an upgrade is on place the other units are on Barter Town and gone soon.

Curious about your opinions of the sound quality of the C-1010 vs the CL-40. Is it mostly the tube sound or did Luxman sprinkle a few extra shakers of pure musical enjoyment into this unit?
 
Back
Top Bottom