• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Would Mac Mini Core2Duo benefit from an external DAC?

nedgar

New Member
Hello all. I use a 2.4 GHZ C2D Mac Mini as a music/movie server. This model:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-2-duo-2.4-mid-2010-specs.html

I installed a big hard drive and ripped (uncompressed .WAV format) all of my CDs onto the Mac. I also rip an occasional Blu-ray using makeMKV.

Depending on whim, I use FrontRow, iTunes, or Plex to play songs. I use VLC or Plex to play movies.

Speakers are Martin Logan Clarity electrostatics; amps are Midgard Oberons; my pre/pro is made by Usher. I've been feeding the preamp from the Mac's optical output.


My audio nut friends insist that I should use an external DAC. I'm not sure why. "It'll sound better," they say. Okay.

It turns out DACs can be expensive. So, I poked around and discovered something on Amazon called the Schiit Modi. $99 asynchronous DAC. USB only input.

$100 seems to be the magic threshold for buying a gadget without getting resistance from my wife.

You think it would be worthwhile? Is it really preferable to harvest audio from the Mac via USB rather than optical? Would spending a little more be worth enduring my wife's wrath?
 
Register to hide this ad
It's been my experience that external DACs sound audibly better than any onboard chip I've ever heard. That applies to laptops and desktops.
 
You are already using a DAC if using the Optical output of the Mini?
So the question is will the Schlitt be better than the one already in use?

Mini do sound better with an outboard DAC but tell us what you use rightt now,does the Usher have an internal DAC?
 
You are already using a DAC if using the Optical output of the Mini?
So the question is will the Schlitt be better than the one already in use?

Mini do sound better with an outboard DAC but tell us what you use rightt now,does the Usher have an internal DAC?



I'm currently using the Mac Mini's digital optical output into Usher's optical input. The Usher is very good, but at least ten years old, so its internal DAC may not be up to current DAC technology.

I'm really wondering if there's a qualitative difference between the sound from the Mac's USB and sound from the Mac's optical out. I've been told that the Mac's clock somehow degrades the signal sent to optical port. Therefore, USB sound output would theoretically be better. Does that make sense?
 
cheapo DAC

I use a DAC coming from my TV(only digi. out) but I am not rich like you. I got one on the bay for $16.49 including shipping. It is very small and comes with a wall wart. It will take either optic or coax. digi. inputs. Not both.
One pair of stereo outputs. Blue light tells you it's on.
It is around 2" long and 1 1/2" wide and maybe 1" thick.
Sounds really good. I watched some Breaking Bad recently and was impressed with the low end.

I have no interest in this item.
Just an old guy with a need for fun and good sound and to see others find nirvana.

Paul
 
I'm currently using the Mac Mini's digital optical output into Usher's optical input. The Usher is very good, but at least ten years old, so its internal DAC may not be up to current DAC technology.

I'm really wondering if there's a qualitative difference between the sound from the Mac's USB and sound from the Mac's optical out. I've been told that the Mac's clock somehow degrades the signal sent to optical port. Therefore, USB sound output would theoretically be better. Does that make sense?

The difference is between synchronous and asynchronous DAC where the USB DAC has its own clock but the Optical does not.
This feature alone would not have me dropping the Usher in favor of another but there are certainly differences between DACs.

This is what the hobby is all about! Research and read what you can and let us know.

I have several older units with onboard DAC that are every bit as good sounding as newer better specced gear,only a listen can say for you.
I use Minis with both types as well and have compared on the same Mini too and there is no quick answer that I have ever found.
I would say if the Usher is not Broke,Why Fix it?

Ed
 
Back
Top Bottom