• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Would you spend $5,500 on this new tuner ?

For a tuner no. I purchased a MR78 last year for my main system just to complete it and I'm happy with it. Besides, with the state of FM nowadays, I don't feel it would be money well spent.
I made the mistake back in the 90's purchasing a spendy CDP. Should of just bought a decent one with a digital out so I could just upgrade the outboard DAC as needed.
 
Short answer... NO

Here's why... I have only one good (SQ) FM Radio Station in my area. All of the others are no better SQ wise than streaming live radio. Sad :no: I know

Very good Streamer and DAC can be had for $1,500.00 (even less)
 
Nope.... I have about 1% of that price in my Sansui TU-717 {main system} and my Yamaha T-2 {part of my "computer" system} combined. Both are in mint condition and perform great.
I do listen to FM often, NPR, Local Classical station and Local Blues/Jazz station, so I wouldn't want to be with out a good tuner.
 
I agree -- Because of our 2000' altitude, we get a really good shot sw to Albany, about 75 miles away ... I did a radio-locator search for stations w/in 80 miles of our location -- 349 stations were listed (!).. lots of bad programming etc, but like you, I only need about 10 or so go-to stations, and the fun never ends..
 
Things like this make me wonder why I ever got into Mcintosh gear. Their $1500 block of wood was the first red flag. I love what I have but doubt I’ll ever go modern Mac, I like motorcycles too much.
 
Would I spend $5500 on this tuner? How do you want my "NO", fast or slow? My best tuner of the 27 I own is a Sherwood 2100 II and it probably outperforms this one.
 
Things like this make me wonder why I ever got into Mcintosh gear. Their $1500 block of wood was the first red flag. I love what I have but doubt I’ll ever go modern Mac, I like motorcycles too much.

Even though mc was making good sounding equipment last century, they lost me with their amplifier style direction after the 2255.
They cheapened the looks with those ugly new meters and never changed back.

New Mcintosh is probably at their height of performance, but they are generically uglier to me.
 
Even though mc was making good sounding equipment last century, they lost me with their amplifier style direction after the 2255.
They cheapened the looks with those ugly new meters and never changed back.

New Mcintosh is probably at their height of performance, but they are generically uglier to me.
Exactly, I have no doubt that a newer amp would outperform my 2205 but to get that many watts in a new Mcintosh amp I’d be looking at 7-$8000? I’m not saying it’s dumb to spend that much I’m just saying I have another hobby that I’d rather spend that money on. Do what makes you happy :beerchug:
 
If I were doing an all-separates system I definitely would. Before I bought the MAC7200 I looked at the C49, MC152 and the MR87 but for the space considerations I chose the MAC7200.
 
No. Not enough quality programming on FM to justify it. If I was going to spend 5 grand on a tuner, it better come with a car around it. My last tuner was 9 grand but it came with a V8 and a trailer hitch.
 
Why do I need big blue output meters, For a tuner signal strength, modulation, and multipath would be much more useful.
This shows that McIntosh is going after their base, folks buying the gear for the meters, not sound quality or performance capabilities. And they get good money for it.
 
If I was going to spend 5 grand on a tuner, it better come with a car around it

^^^That made me laugh.:rflmao:

To the thread topic... I wouldn't but mostly because I already have several tuners I enjoy.

One thing unique to 'tuners' as a source is that they are totally dependent on having a station to receive on it, and the nearer the better, then you have to like what type of music they play (bagpipes are a non-starter for me :)). Any other source, like a CD, LP, Tape, etc, all you need is electricity and a collection of material.
 
No way. At first glance it looks to be lacking features but after checking out the manual the display is multi-functional and you can get signal strength, multipath and other geeky functions if you want to menu dive for them. Dedicating the meters to output levels though is just offensive for a tuner.
 
It's a tuner which receives signals so I think for the money it should also at be Wi-Fi and Bluetooth compatible. I figured it did or would but was wrong when I saw just am fm.
 
Back
Top Bottom