• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

WWII MIA Pilot Found...where least expected

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
Subscriber
Airman Billie Harris was listed as KIA shortly after D-Day but it was reported to his widow that he was dead, living and on his way home, and finally, dead again and buried in two different places. A few years ago, his cousin finally discovered where he was actually buried: in what is now "the most decorated grave in Normandy."

I dare you to watch all 6:22 without choking up a bit. :D

http://www.wimp.com/missinghusband/
 
Register to hide this ad
A very touching story, Tox. Thanks for sharing. I just cannot imagine what the widow went through all these years not knowing and shame on the congressman who did not follow up on her request, but rather pretty much blew her off.
 
I hope they actually made a mistake rather than blowing her off. He would have assigned that to a staffer, who might have looked at the right name but wrong line in the other column, or the wrong Billie altogether. Who knows. I assume the family could have gone directly to the Archives themselves, too, and just didn't know they could or should.
 
A very touching story, Tox. Thanks for sharing. I just cannot imagine what the widow went through all these years not knowing and shame on the congressman who did not follow up on her request, but rather pretty much blew her off.

+1

It's particularly touching to be reminded of France's history with the USA. We tend to give them a bum rap but it is important to remember that they supported us during our nascency when we revolted against England's monarchy.

We are all somehow related.
 
+1

It's particularly touching to be reminded of France's history with the USA. We tend to give them a bum rap but it is important to remember that they supported us during our nascency when we revolted against England's monarchy.

We are all somehow related.

So true, I had the same thought. Imagine having people in little towns who have marches to commemorate the sacrifices our guys made for them, 68 years after the fact. :tears: Sure makes you stop and think about what's really important.
 
Which was incredibly unfair to them, in my opinion.

Erik,

Me recollection is that you are in Canada. Here is a funny little story about how I learned a bit about wars during the revolutionary period. They don't teach this stuff in the USA or if they do I wasn't paying attention that day. That is entirely possible. :D

Last summer we were at a campground near Brampton, Ontario with a group of Canadian friends. After a few beers around the campfire the discussion turned to politics. Big surprise. Anyhow one of the Americans idly mentioned that it is interesting that the USA and Canada never had a battle. One of the Canadians, a jolly sort of fellow, started laughing and said, "What do you mean? In 1812 we marched to Washington and burned down your White House!"

:lmao: If classrooms were that funny in high school I might have paid more attention.
 
Back
Top Bottom