Gang-Twanger
Resident Wharfedaliophool
Howdy, partners...
Since recently-getting the 32" widescreen, I've been going a little blu-ray crazy, picking up BD remasters of older movies I love as well as some newer pictures. The latest ones are the "X-Files: Fight The Future" (1998) extended edition, "The Matrix Revolutions" (2003), "I Robot" (2004), and "Deep Impact", as well as the much-more-recent Sylvester Stallone-directed, super-starpowered action flick, "The Expendables" (2010).
I'll start with the "X-Files". I was VERY-impressed with this one. Excellent sound with great dynamics. If you have a decent-sized widescreen TV hooked up to a good stereo system, whether it's 2-channel or surround-sound, crank up the volume on this blu-ray and you will feel like you're watching the movie in a theater. Transients hit HARD, and yet they're not harsh or fatiguing. And the picture-quality was equally-good. A perfect example of this is the scene with the bees (when Mulder and Scully are inside that white dome-shaped place next to the cornfield). Small, fast-moving objects have great clarity (something I had also noticed with "Dante's Peak"). All in all, a great job on this BD version (What does "BD" mean anyway? "blu-ray disc"? Been wondering about that because everybody seems to be using that term). I'd love to see the original X-Files" TV series on blu-ray, but I don't think it's been released on that format yet, has it?
I felt basically the same way about the blu-ray releases of "The Matrix Revolutions" and "I Robot". Great audio and great picture (I didn't realize Keanu had so many acne scars from his teen years...
The big battle at the dock above Zion looked and sounded awesome). I was especially-impressed with "I Robot", although that movie looked great even on DVD, so I guess they had a leg up on that one. Fantastic cinematography and CGI usage that looks all that much better on blu-ray. Both films are worth watching in full-on hi-rez.
Now, getting to "Deep Impact"..... I wasn't particularly blown away by this blu-ray release. It was good, but I was honestly expecting the hi-rez version to be a lot better than it was, considering what movie it is. The sound didn't rock my world, and neither did the picture. If anybody else got a different impression after watching the blu-ray version, please voice your opinion/s, but I myself expected it to be quite a bit better. I'll watch it again and see if I feel any different about it, and if so, I will definitely-come back and post my thoughts, but I didn't get a great first impression from this blu-ray disc.
OK, now on to the 2010 super-shoot-em-up, "The Expendables", Sly Stallone's mondo-sized action flick with more star-power than you can shake an Oscar at, and more bullets and explosions than "Saving Private Ryan"... OK, it might not have had THAT many bullets and explosions, but it sure had a lot (By the way, I'll be posting my thoughts on the blu-ray version of "Saving Private Ryan" in the near future...).
First off, I seem to remember this movie not getting the greatest reviews back when it was still in the theaters, but whatever the case, I thought it was friggin' great! I tend to be an especially-harsh critic when it comes to action movies, and I was expecting to hate this one as much as I hated that Rambo flick from a couple years ago (the one that takes place in Burma). However, I didn't hate "The Expendables" at all, in fact I loved it. Sure, the story was nothing new and kinda' thin, but the high-intensity action scenes more than make up for it, plus it's actually a pretty-funny movie in spots and has great character-development unlike most action flicks. Anyway, getting to the blu-ray... I thought this one looked and sounded incredible. The picture-clarity really blew me away, and that's extremely-important when it comes to action flicks. And the sound... Wow, the sound... Remember what I said about the sound on the "X-Files" blu-ray? Well, that goes double for "The Expendables". Crystal-clear explosions and gunfire. A+ for sound AND picture-quality on this one. If you saw "The Expendables" in the theaters and liked it even a little bit, the blu-ray is worth a look. Fantastic job they did on that flick.
Since recently-getting the 32" widescreen, I've been going a little blu-ray crazy, picking up BD remasters of older movies I love as well as some newer pictures. The latest ones are the "X-Files: Fight The Future" (1998) extended edition, "The Matrix Revolutions" (2003), "I Robot" (2004), and "Deep Impact", as well as the much-more-recent Sylvester Stallone-directed, super-starpowered action flick, "The Expendables" (2010).
I'll start with the "X-Files". I was VERY-impressed with this one. Excellent sound with great dynamics. If you have a decent-sized widescreen TV hooked up to a good stereo system, whether it's 2-channel or surround-sound, crank up the volume on this blu-ray and you will feel like you're watching the movie in a theater. Transients hit HARD, and yet they're not harsh or fatiguing. And the picture-quality was equally-good. A perfect example of this is the scene with the bees (when Mulder and Scully are inside that white dome-shaped place next to the cornfield). Small, fast-moving objects have great clarity (something I had also noticed with "Dante's Peak"). All in all, a great job on this BD version (What does "BD" mean anyway? "blu-ray disc"? Been wondering about that because everybody seems to be using that term). I'd love to see the original X-Files" TV series on blu-ray, but I don't think it's been released on that format yet, has it?
I felt basically the same way about the blu-ray releases of "The Matrix Revolutions" and "I Robot". Great audio and great picture (I didn't realize Keanu had so many acne scars from his teen years...
Now, getting to "Deep Impact"..... I wasn't particularly blown away by this blu-ray release. It was good, but I was honestly expecting the hi-rez version to be a lot better than it was, considering what movie it is. The sound didn't rock my world, and neither did the picture. If anybody else got a different impression after watching the blu-ray version, please voice your opinion/s, but I myself expected it to be quite a bit better. I'll watch it again and see if I feel any different about it, and if so, I will definitely-come back and post my thoughts, but I didn't get a great first impression from this blu-ray disc.
OK, now on to the 2010 super-shoot-em-up, "The Expendables", Sly Stallone's mondo-sized action flick with more star-power than you can shake an Oscar at, and more bullets and explosions than "Saving Private Ryan"... OK, it might not have had THAT many bullets and explosions, but it sure had a lot (By the way, I'll be posting my thoughts on the blu-ray version of "Saving Private Ryan" in the near future...).
First off, I seem to remember this movie not getting the greatest reviews back when it was still in the theaters, but whatever the case, I thought it was friggin' great! I tend to be an especially-harsh critic when it comes to action movies, and I was expecting to hate this one as much as I hated that Rambo flick from a couple years ago (the one that takes place in Burma). However, I didn't hate "The Expendables" at all, in fact I loved it. Sure, the story was nothing new and kinda' thin, but the high-intensity action scenes more than make up for it, plus it's actually a pretty-funny movie in spots and has great character-development unlike most action flicks. Anyway, getting to the blu-ray... I thought this one looked and sounded incredible. The picture-clarity really blew me away, and that's extremely-important when it comes to action flicks. And the sound... Wow, the sound... Remember what I said about the sound on the "X-Files" blu-ray? Well, that goes double for "The Expendables". Crystal-clear explosions and gunfire. A+ for sound AND picture-quality on this one. If you saw "The Expendables" in the theaters and liked it even a little bit, the blu-ray is worth a look. Fantastic job they did on that flick.
Last edited: