• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha a-s2000 owners?

Hi Ashley,
This is the first time I've bi-wired; before this, I was bi-amping an older pair of Arcam amps with my B&W's. I was/am a big fan of bi-amping, only because it sounded quite good with my Arcams. So, when I upgraded to the Rega I was a bit concerned about whether the sound quality would match what I was used to.

I would say it has. Besides upgrading the amp, I upgraded the speaker cable, going from Kimber 8TC to 12TC. I'm noticing a more fullness to the sound with the 12's.

The hum: now you have me curious. (I haven't had the Rega on in a few days; been using my HT system.) I will make a point to listen for it tomorrow night.

Again, I haven't noticed anything other than music coming out of my B&W's. Has this been a complaint specific to the Elicit-R?

Jeff
The hum, apparently, is also an issue with the brio-r... Rega say it's something to do with the positioning of the transformer in the case causing hum in the amp. Apparently, when they build these amps, the transformer is tested and positioned in a way that minimises the hum.
 
Ashley,
Thanks for the info;

Art,
Yes...I know true audiophiles keep the amps on; I go back-and-forth on that: it gets warm here in Vegas, and I resist keeping things running for reasons of economy and heat wear on the equipment.

That said, I've been putting the Elicit-R through his paces; still sounds great.

Ashley, as I'm listening, and I'm doing a really, really good job tonight thanks to a fantastic martini, no hum yet. I'll keep you updated.

Jeff
 
Ashley,
Thanks for the info;

Ashley, as I'm listening, and I'm doing a really, really good job tonight thanks to a fantastic martini, no hum yet. I'll keep you updated.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff - sounds like the problem could just be the transformer in the brio-r, and the elicit isn't effected... it would make sense, the brio's case being half-size and all.
 
Thanks for your reply and for clearing up the tape loop issue - I thought it only had 1, however on my local dealers website the specs said "1x tape loops via 4 pairs of rca/phono" so I wondered whether they'd made a mistake.

I wish they'd put more IO on modern amps - with the wide variety of sources in use today, it sucks that there's not enough room to have them all connected at once! Many people want to have a computer interface hooked up as well as a cassette/md recorder. That's one of the things I loved about my Cambridge audio 851a... unfortunately, they didn't put the same thought into the build/component quality as they did into the features.

I thought about buying Cambridge Audio when I was upgrading from the A-S700 and CD-S700. I checked eBay and never saw a single A-S or CD-S unit for parts while the CA product line had scores of parts units available at the time.
 
Unfortunately, it's true. I guess you could say you get what you pay for... the CA stuff sounds awesome. I recently upgraded to their 851E/W pre/power combo... it sounds absolutely beautiful. If I could afford a Yamaha A-S3000 and CD-S3000, I would've gone for those; but I got a good price on the Cambridge kit, and the Yamaha was way over budget - so Cambridge it was. (if someone wants to swap a 3000 series for the ca... we can talk)

The problem with Cambridge is rather than building for reliability and reputation, they build to a price point and think about the profit margin. They have some amazing technologies; Class XD and ATF2 being the main ones - so their products have the potential to be game changers.

They also use some pretty good components - analog devices and wolfson DACs, excellent volume control IC's, and their awesome S3 servo transport controller. But then... they ruin it all with cheap chinese caps, cheap digital encoders, and - perhaps the most annoying of all - the cheap cd transport mechanisms.

I recently repaired a near bottom of the line Azur 340A amp - this amp was BOTL a few years ago. They'd used cheap power supply caps that weren't big enough for the job which had blown - and a cheap speaker relay, and cheap motorized volume pot. After the relay, pot, and all cheap Chinese caps were replaced; the thing sounded beautiful, better than it ever did. The cost? well nothing as I had the parts on hand; but if I'd bought them, probably about £12. Something they could've easily done in the first place - and that amp would've still been working to this day.

I'm not trying to bash them; when my ca kit works, I love it. The 851C is one of the sweetest sounding CD players I've heard. But because of their reliability, build quality, and the fact that I've been waiting for nearly 2 months for a reply from their customer care department re setting up their control bus... I don't think I'll be buying their kit again. Truth be told I shouldn't have gone with them again when my 851A gave out after a month; but for the price, I couldn't beat the sound. It'll be interesting to see whether they read this.
 
I am using my A-s700 right now and my pioneer SX-1250 bit it yet again.

Thinking of getting the A-s2000 and being done with it. I have other vintage gear. But the shop visits get to be much.

To me the A-s700 is a great amp. Its a little soft in presentation which is the only thing that bothers me. Of course, its a relatively inexpensive amp. The soundstage is noticeably better than all my vintage gear but it doesn't have the bite. Seems to have just a firm grip on the speakers just a tad polite. If the a-s2000 solves that ... well I'm in. Unfortunately there are no dealers here so I have to order it in.

As for Cambridge gear ... IMO they use cheap components to much and are are analytical to a fault. Very trebly, hard to listen to long term. They also will not support anything. I have an AZUR Blueray. Doesn't play all the files its supposed to and Cambridge doesn't answer email. Wont play AAC files or ISO either despite their ads stating is a go to play all unit. Just my opinion as the AZUR is not a bad unit, just not what they advertise and they wont even look my way after the money has changed hands. I have a cambridge dealer near me. Not overly impressed with their products. Speakers, amps ... all seem cheaply built.
 
I'm about to pick up an A-S3000 to replace my 851E/W pre/power combo. Sick of the amp cutting out and producing more heat than it does sound. For support with Cambridge gear, go through your dealer - Enough said.
 
Back
Top Bottom