• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha A-S500/501 Phono Stage

averscds

New Member
I wish i had the money to buy higher end audio equipment to see how well my Yamaha A-S500 phono stage stacks up against any other outboard or integrated stages. Is anyone familiar enough with this stage that you could compare it to any others you have owned or heard? Or just your input on the stage alone if you also own the amp. To me it sounds pretty damn good and clear, but I've only heard about 3 from 3 different integrated amps in my life, so not much to compare to with my untrained ears. My second day here btw, sweet forum, thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I think you're fine. It's a fairly modern unit, so nothing should be aged or out of spec at this point.

It'd be good to find a local AK'er with a dedicated phono stage the compare, but my guess is that differences would be fairly subtle at best.
 
I have an A-S500 and have used several phono stages. Frankly, they all sounded the same to me. The only upgrade I would look to is something with adjustable gain (Clear audio nano or other).

I currently use a DB systems phono preamp with +43 DB of gain, mostly because I have it.
 
I use my Yam AS 500 for phono occasionally. Its average and nothing to rave about. Not poor but not exceptional. The C4 is streets ahead when I use that pre amp. Its a convenience on the AS 500 so not top quality in my opinion.
 
Hi welcome to AK. I own the as500 and I have a NAD pp1 stand alone phono stage and there isn't a lot in it so I use the phono stage in my yamaha. What I like about the yamaha is they have put a proper phono board in there and not just stuck a chip in it.
In mho the new yamaha integreated amps are some of the best value bits of kit on the market at the moment.
 
Mine is my main amp for the "good stuff." I run a Sansui SR 838 table. I aslo am playing an Elac Miracord 45 through it as well. What's not to love? Clean power and non fatiguing sound. Detractors will likely chime in, but this is one of the great amps for even twice as much money and the phono stage doesn't disappoint. This is a great amp, don't let the audio snobs tell you any different ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom