• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha A-S501

sloatsburgbo

Active Member
Good morning all AK'r's. I have a less than year old A-S501 that is stuck on "mute". I went through the trouble shooting and it was less than helpful. Before I spend hours on the phone does anyone know if there is a factory reset option? I really don't want to send it back if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards, Bob
 
Register to hide this ad
From Google AI: To reset traditional Yamaha integrated stereo amplifiers (like the A-S series), they generally do not store complex configurations needing a reset, but network-enabled or AV-based integrated units use a front-panel button combination.

Standard / Network Integrated Amplifiers (A-S Series / R-N Series)

For network receivers like the R-N series or modern units with menus:
1. Turn the unit on.
2. Press the MENU or SETUP button on the front panel or remote.
3. Navigate to Initialise or Factory Reset using the selector dial.
4. Select All and press ENTER to execute.

AV Receivers & Multi-Channel Amplifiers (RX / CX Series)

If your Yamaha unit is an AV receiver or multi-channel processor:
1. Set the unit to Standby (powered off, but plugged in).
2. Press and hold the STRAIGHT button on the front panel.
3. While holding STRAIGHT, press the POWER / MAIN ZONE button to turn the unit on.
4. Release the STRAIGHT button when Advanced Setup appears on the display.
5. Press the PROGRAM arrow / knob repeatedly until INIT-CANCEL or INITIALIZE...CANCEL shows up.
6. Press the STRAIGHT button repeatedly until INIT-ALL or INITIALIZE...ALL appears.
7. Turn the unit off using the POWER button to save and finish the reset.
 
Don't know the amp. What indication does it give that it's stuck on "Mute"?
I assume the amp powers up ok but you get no audio.

Typically these amps go into protection which you can interrogate as per the service manual (link above).
In this case the amp automatically powers down 0-3seconds after attempted power on.
 
Post #2 linked sm talks about "Factory Preset" pages 27-28 Fig 17-18.
However this reads more like saving your current configuration as default setting, it's probably just a translation thing. Try the procedure
 
Good morning all AK'r's. I have a less than year old A-S501 that is stuck on "mute". I went through the trouble shooting and it was less than helpful. Before I spend hours on the phone does anyone know if there is a factory reset option? I really don't want to send it back if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards, Bob
I would check the mute switch itself. The switch might have failed. :idea:
 
More thinking out loud... did you try with Pure Direct ON, what affect does it have to the muffled sound level?

Also the muffled sound may be caused by low gain. The unit is heavily opamp based, so failure in a power rail...
Suggest check +/-7V rails at connector CB14 on the MAIN(2) board
 
Back
Top Bottom