• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha AX-700 -- McIntosh MC2105 -- Classe Audio TEN -- Bel Canto DAC1.5

Lantorn

New Member
Hi. First time posting. I have lurked for three months and want to thank all of you for the great education you have been giving me. You guys are truly fantastic!

I am just getting back into owning "traditional" 2 channel audio components as a recent empty nester. Prior to now I have only swum in Technics, Pioneer, Sony waters. So far, I have purchased a pristine pair of Infinity Crescendo CS3009s and a Yamaha AX-700. My intention is to keep the Crescendos long-term. The Yamaha's life span was unknown and is part of what I would like your help with.

First I would love clarification on what the Crescendos REALLY run at -- I have read 4 ohms and 6 ohms -- the manual says 8 ohms. Everyone agrees 8 is wrong. Can anyone definitively clarify the ohm rating of a Crescendo 3009?

Next, I can't find a manual for the Yamaha AX-700. So far, the AX-700U is getting all the manual love. The problem is, where reputable sites (as far as I know) represent the 700 as 110w at 8 ohms with no information about 6 or 4 ohms, I have found the 700U manual, representing the "U" at 160W/210W/280W. What a difference. Was that "U" that much of a tweak or is there a misprint somewhere? And what is the 700's 6 ohm and 4 ohm rating?

Not sure if I should stop here or keep piling on the questions.... (I'll keep going, if you only answer the above it WILL be appreciated). ...sorry, this became MUCH longer than expected. Hope you find it interesting...

Even though the AX-700 has posts for an "A" and "B" speaker pair and the Crescendos have four posts (jumpers are in place), I have been running a single 14AWG pair of wire between. I know, I need better wire.

Listening to a CD source, 9 o'clock is LouD, 10 is LOuD, 11 is LOUD and 12 is going to be a very short listen. Actually, the amp cuts out both channels in fairly short order. Is that clipping? Anyway, I have only done that ONE time...

That is current world.

Because I believe (from reading this forum and others) that "higher quality" separates (preamp and amp) will "improve" my listening experience, today, I alternately listened to a McIntosh MC2105 and a Classe Audio TEN amp fed by a Bel Canto DAC1.5 sourced from a McIntosh CD player and output to a pair of B&W speakers.

THANK YOU SEAN!

THE LISTENING EXPERIENCE:
I found I didn't like the McIntosh MC2105, actually. Seemed like the music wanted space and couldn't get out of the speakers. Who put a blanket over them? Just too rounded everywhere is what I would say, but I am barely understanding what I am saying, so don't write it down.

The Classe Audio TEN had more "crispness" and allowed the music to breath (open up) in comparison. It was much more detailed. I think I even heard the saliva in the vocalist's mouth a couple of times. TMI?

Anyway, the "openness" of the Classe Audio was far closer to what the Yamaha had been giving me, I thought. In any event, I simply liked the Classe Audio presence over the McIntosh, better.

That established, I wondered how the Yamaha AX-700 would compare against the CA TEN.
Well, my host obliged such an audition -- I had brought my 700 with me -- too awesome for words!

THE POISON IN THE MIX:
Because the Yamaha AX-700 is an integrated amp, the first thing we did was switch the Bel Canto to "fixed" so the signal would "pass through", bypassing the Bel Canto preamp. However, I don't know if that worked because we had to turn the AX-700 to 4 o'clock to get what had been 9-10 o'clock on the Crescendos at home. Does anyone know why the Yamaha needed so much in this setup, especially where neither the McIntosh nor the Classe Audio needed half that -- all to the same B&W speakers (8 ohm)?
At the very least all three amps are about 100-110w and the Yamaha was supposed to be the loud screechy one.

The Yamaha did exhibit much of the same detail and expanse in this system as with the Crescendos, however both listeners thought the mid-bass was lacking -- period. At home, on the Crescendos likewise the vocals are most prominent and the bass can seem thin. The CA Ten sounded a LOT better. So was the comparison fair or was the Bel Canto somehow compromising the Yamaha? I don't know. In some ways I feel I know less now than before the audition. Any comments advice welcome.
 
Register to hide this ad
If this is what your amp looks like then the AX-700 / AX-700u Manual is here:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/result/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&search=AX-700

The "u" just means it was meant only for the U.S. market and not voltage selectable.

upload_2016-2-2_14-29-21.png

If you want to use the AX-700 as an amplifier only and want to use a different pre-amp, leave the jumpers out of the Accessory connectors and plug the pre amp "out" from your pre-amp into the Accessory "receive" jacks on the AX-700. Your pre-amp will control the volume and the AX-700 will be just an amplifier and only the power and A/B speaker switches will be operable. Run your speaker wires to your speakers from the AX-700.


;-)
 
The issue you hear seems to be system synergy related. The Crescendos appear to be a better match to the Classe. Whereas the McIntosh is better partnered with other speakers. So be mindful of that. Other alternative might be to step up to Yamaha separates (Which in better models are very nice)
 
Thanks to all for your help with my search for an pre-amp/amp combo (or maybe integrated) that will work with my Crescendos.

I have a new wrinkle. The yamaha AX-700 I have is exhibiting serious problems and may have been giving false sonics. Since I bought it (and the Crescendos at the same time, I have no reference. Well, the volume level started changing itself a couple of days ago. Going first louder and then softer, mostly on the left side. But also on the right, I think. The sound started to act like it was "underwater" too (warbly?) and/or like a mic was being moved away and toward the source back and forth.

Recently acquiring a Sony STR AV380 (35W x 2 RMS), I hooked that up, wondering if it would be strong enough to do anything. WOW!
These Crescendos not only DO produce bass, they sound really level across the sonic spectrum. It is more obvious to me then ever that I have no idea how to pick components that will get the most out of these speakers. While not the power I am looking for, the 35W (at 40 on the digital dial) was plenty to hear that the AX-700 has a lot of problems. Right now "natural sound" is high, harsh and need's to be corrected, is my guess.

I have no idea how to fix electronic equipment, OBVIOUSLY.

In the opinion of "AudioKarma" is the AX-700 worth fixing at retail labor?
(always is worth fixing when labor is "free")
I also have no place identified to take it for repair, as I checked with the one highly reputable source I know and he only works on McIntosh.
Thoughts?
(THANKS!)
 
I have the AX-900u and it does not lack bass. The sound it produces is very un-colored and even. The volume fluctuations/ uneven frequency response could be from needing a good cleaning. I would try that first.
 
Thanks try1256. I went to buy deoxit, only to find several types.. what type should I use here?
Could you comment on the volume fluctuations?

Incidentally, I had been running the amp for a few weeks with CD Direct enabled -- without volume fluctuations.
It is just occurring to me that it is since I disabled CD Direct, in order to use the loudness control, that the fluctuations have been happening.

Cause -- effect?
 
Thanks try1256. I went to buy deoxit, only to find several types.. what type should I use here?
Could you comment on the volume fluctuations?

Incidentally, I had been running the amp for a few weeks with CD Direct enabled -- without volume fluctuations.
It is just occurring to me that it is since I disabled CD Direct, in order to use the loudness control, that the fluctuations have been happening.

Cause -- effect?
Any switch or pot that audio runs through could cause it. Best bet is to clean everything while you are in there.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...diots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

This should bring you up to speed on Deoxit.
 
In a word, you guys are amazing -- thanks for the EXTENSIVE DeOxit guide.
This weekend I shall a can in the palm of my hand for the very first time.
I hope the experience is as good as you guys make it sound! ;-)

BTW, how did the guy who wrote that thread title know my name?
 
Back
Top Bottom