• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha B-2 first experience, AWESOME!

jameswei

Super Member
I bought a Yamaha C2a a little while back and do really enjoy the detail in the sound, and recently I bought a Yamaha B-2 just because I read all the good reviews here, but I didn't;t expect this good. I paired it with my old ADS CM7 and is heaven. One question though, why did Yamaha stop making them?
 
Register to hide this ad
I bought a Yamaha C2a a little while back and do really enjoy the detail in the sound, and recently I bought a Yamaha B-2 just because I read all the good reviews here, but I didn't;t expect this good. I paired it with my old ADS CM7 and is heaven. One question though, why did Yamaha stop making them?
Awesome!! Has it been restored? If not get that done soon by some one familiar with V-fets .

Nashou
 
I bought from a guy that buys in Japan and restore the item and resell here in Taiwan, but the problem is operational but the meter is off and the buttons don't bounce back.
 
but the problem is operational but the meter is off and the buttons don't bounce back.
There is an extensive meter alignment procedure for the B-2 in the service manual. This will likely take care of the meter issue. As for the buttons bouncing back. A couple things. If the front panel is not properly aligned with the push buttons it could cause binding of the plastic buttons. Or the switch assembly itself is dirty or, God forbid, has a broken or a missing return spring!

The "long term" reliability of those speaker select switches was not that great to begin with.

@rottalpha Perhaps Rott can help you out here. :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
I bought a Yamaha C2a a little while back and do really enjoy the detail in the sound, and recently I bought a Yamaha B-2 just because I read all the good reviews here, but I didn't;t expect this good. I paired it with my old ADS CM7 and is heaven. One question though, why did Yamaha stop making them?
I've had a B2 since 1978, and I have asked that question many times. It is one fantastic beast, but they only made it from 1977-1979. The answer I've always gotten was that they were too expensive for the market, but hell, I only paid $850 brand new, and it was one of the top-rated amps. They still are. I just had mine completely overhauled for $2K, and feel that it was worth every penny. I don't think you can buy a new amp that would compare to it for under $5K.

Many things don't make sense, though. Why did they discontinue the mid-60s Mustang? Why did they discontinue the original VW Beetles? Or larger Advent speakers? These are non-sensical manufacturing decisions, in my humble opinion.
 
Back
Top Bottom