• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Yamaha B-2

wajobu

Boing Boom Tschak
Yamaha B-2 - A Very Easy Sale...Excellent!

I'm relatively new to the AK threads. "Mr." Yamaha B-2 and others were immediately helpful with my many questions audio. I have always admired nice vintage discreet equipment and after many years of being in a pastoral torpor (children, finances, sports, other stuff!), I am finally awakening from my slumber and am buying and fixing equipment again (in my mid-late 40s!). My children call it "dad's mid-life crisis", I call it fun and it's WAY cheaper than sports cars (but British sports cars DO sound attractive! as a MINI Cooper driver already).

Anyway, I recently purchased a fine specimen of a Yamaha CT 1010 tuner from Glenn (B-2) and no doubt he will entice me with more. It's a great match to my CA 2010 that I have been fixing up. The CT 1010 arrived VERY quickly, VERY well packaged and it works great. As soon as I can get my equipment together in one place photos to follow at "Show us your Yamahas!".

Many thanks Glenn...until the NEXT purchase!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Thank you. Always willing to help turn someone on to a nice piece of gear like the CT-1010. An excellent match for the CA-2010. One Yamaha's best pairings.
 
Likewise, I wanted to thank Glenn for the Yamaha CA-400 he so generously sent me. A beautiful little integrated amp. And it was packed with care, and arrived safe and sound.

Thanks Glenn.

JD
 
Another Thanks to Yamaha B-2!

Glenn, as promised...I came back! Thank you again to Mr. B-2 for the safe transport of one of his EchoWars restored Yamaha B-2s! We had some trouble upon arrival, but Glenn and I calmly worked through the issues that turned out to be a pesky fuse, and Glenn ably assisted with diagnosis and I had no problem popping the top and getting intimate :thmbsp: with the power CB and fuses (woo hoo!). The venerable B-2 sounds great and I am hopeful for the successful repair of part 2 of the purchase (an ailing C-2 preamp...that will visit Merrylander's digs soon enough for diagnosis).

So Glenn...anything else? Thank you again. wajobu :music:

PS: Follow the Yamaha B-2 thread for more listening results...I'm working on installing new input and speaker cables and adding some power conditioning/protection for this and the other beasts!
 
Last edited:
Thank you, Walker. Your C-2 is on its way to Rob and should land there on the 15th. Am looking forward to your report on the C-2/B-2 combo. Don't skimp on the IC between the two. I use 0.5M Wasatch 105U and am very pleased with the result.
 
And...an official thank you here for the C-2, via Merrylander's repair shop...bad caps in the power supply it was along with bad solder connections at some of the RCA connectors. A very interesting external case on this C-2...quite different than other Yamaha components of this era (perhaps it's more like a B-1?). I will report back on the operation and sound.

For others reading...the C-2 was as described and kindly delivered straight to Merrylander (see my other feedback there). Thank you to you both!
 
That's good to hear (about the C-2 being repaired, as well as your kind words - thanks.). The construction of the C-2, C-2a & C-2x are quite similar. Essentially built 'upside-down' with the components all mounted to the case rather than the part of the chassis connected to the feet. Can't remember if the C-85 and other C-xx series are built like that or if they are built with components attached to the chassis base that the feet also connect to.

Looking forward to your report on the sound qualities of the preamp. Don't forget that the better the ICs between it and the B-2 the better it will sound. Seems like a no-brainer, but seems that many folks can't hear the difference with their particular gear.
 
The B-2 still sounds PRETTY sweet all by its lonesome...I'll report back on the C-2 once I hook it up...springtime yard work beckons!
 
Another BIG thank you to Glenn (Yamaha B-2) for a flawlessly (and simply) packed YP-801BL TT. It's a very nice DD TT from the mid-1970s era, and despite its age it seems to perform quite well. Thanks again!
 
Back
Top Bottom