• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha BX-1 Mono amplifiers

I have a pair of these collecting dust waiting for attention in the back. It looks like Yamaha had a bunch of parts left over they needed to get rid of. Quite frankly, I don't think the designers knew what they were doing. Either that, or they were given a set of marketing objectives and design constraints that were mutually exclusive. The front and back panels are plastic. On a $4k set of mono-blocks. In 1986.
There are no plastic panels on the BX-1. :no:
 
Ok lets put the cost issue to the side for a sec. As for the rebuild - I believe it was extensive, maybe not to rival mr amp 8 but i have confidence they were rebuilt well and now function properly.

So assuming all is functioning would these be f*king awesome to drive a pair of 4343s :) or would they be lacking a bit in power for that job?
 
There are no plastic panels on the BX-1. :no:

Looks, feels, and taps like ABS. Maybe they cheapened out further over the production run?

Ok lets put the cost issue to the side for a sec. As for the rebuild - I believe it was extensive, maybe not to rival mr amp 8 but i have confidence they were rebuilt well and now function properly.

Its not just the normal stuff you have to worry about- ie capacitors, solder joints. The heat takes a toll on the semiconductors, many of which are tough to find or sub for. Even the big IRF rectifiers are prone to failure. I have the repair receipts from the prior owner of mine. I think they spent more time in the shop than in usage. They probably have plenty of power. You just need to be a dedicated owner in case they develop problems. Plus as space heaters, these are tough to use 6 months of the year in Texas. Depending on what part of Australia you are in, I cannot imagine it being much better. Great for cold winters though.
 
Last edited:
I know my logic can be a bit fuzzy but these've already been worked over at least once by a tech and he gave up on them. Now the next tech not only has to figure out what the last guy did and undo it and then he has to find and fix the real problem. Maybe your logic is more fuzzy then mine.

Come on, you would love to restore a pair of these amps! :D
 
I know my logic can be a bit fuzzy but these've already been worked over at least once by a tech and he gave up on them. Now the next tech not only has to figure out what the last guy did and undo it and then he has to find and fix the real problem. Maybe your logic is more fuzzy then mine.
You're assuming that was referring to my BX-1's. I was not.

As for my BX-1's, they have not been hacked by hacks.
 
Ok lets put the cost issue to the side for a sec. As for the rebuild - I believe it was extensive, maybe not to rival mr amp 8 but i have confidence they were rebuilt well and now function properly.

So assuming all is functioning would these be f*king awesome to drive a pair of 4343s :) or would they be lacking a bit in power for that job?
I think so. BX-1's & 4343's should be an excellent match.
 
How hard would it be to add some extra ventilation to these? Maybe even build a new enclosure with water cooling capability.
 
Its not just the normal stuff you have to worry about- ie capacitors, solder joints. The heat takes a toll on the semiconductors, many of which are tough to find or sub for.

That's where 1 of these could comes in handy ...

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0591.jpg
    IMAG0591.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom