• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha C70 Issues + Missing Legs

dgneo

Active Member
I received a Yamaha C70 a year or so ago. I didn't really have much of a use for it then, so I put it away and let it sit. I went to try it out the other week and noticed two things.

1. The legs/feet are missing. I contacted Yamaha in attempts to purchase some replacements, however they discontinued the part back in '97. Does anyone know where I may be able to source some similar legs?

2. The bigger of the two issues, I think it has a grounding problem. I hooked it up with my TT, Receiver, and Speakers. No sound came out initially, however when I placed my hand on the top of it and pushed down (I believe it was on the left hand side), everything played without an issue. Any idea what the heck would cause this?

The C70 is currently at my parents house, so I won't be able to grab it again until Saturday, however I wanted to get a jump on getting this bad boy up and running. Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Loose wiring , pinched wiring, cold solder connections.
Other issues - intermittent relays. Feets-- ebay C-50/70 same feets , there may be others close enough as well.
 
Instead of pushing on the top, try gently moving the RCA connections if the sound cuts in and out then they are the issue.. The RCA's are plastic one piece units that are hard mounted to the circuit board, the solder joint can be the culprit but mine was the actual RCA. I found the best solution was to replace the RCA plugs with threaded body mount RCA's and wire them to the circuit board. Look up AK user Stoutblock, thread is Yamaha C-85 RCA upgrade. Stoutblock does an excellent job of describing the process on his C-85 (same process for C-70)
 
Thanks for the heads up guys, really appreciate it.

I'm gonna try and pull it apart today and take a look at it.

EDIT: Popped it open real quick. Here's a shot at the underside, and what looks to definitely be a problem area.

The problem area:
jQXJpwh.jpg


Location on the underside:
XPPPMJA.jpg


Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Hello

No it is not toasted , this is the result of leaking from bad electrolytic capacitor ! clean the BOTH side of the board and then change the bad capacitor ! all the black area is caused by acid coming from the bad cap !

To restore the soldering side of the pcb you need to use abrasive paper to "clean" the oxyded copper and then apply solder to the dammaged track . After that your pcb will lok like a new one !

Be very carefull because on your picture we can see a piece of solder on your board ! take it off before to switch the power on ! :nono:
 
Last edited:
Sorry for the delay everyone.

ZnjTpZn.jpg


So this the area right above the corrosion on the bottom. Would all the caps with corrosion on the very bottom need to be replaced?
 
Sorry for the delay everyone.



So this the area right above the corrosion on the bottom. Would all the caps with corrosion on the very bottom need to be replaced?

All the caps need to be replaced.
 
Back
Top Bottom