• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha CA 1000 v CA 810

geph0007

AK Member
Subscriber
Hi Would there be any reason soundwise (other then the Class A) to take a Yamaha CA 1000 over CA 810?? Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
I have had CA 800, CA 810, CA 1000 and currently use a CA 1010 and can hear no significant difference between them using my Infinity RS3b's.

The 10x0 have a little more power so they offer a little more headroom. I change the tweeter fuses far less often with my 1010 than I did with the 8x0 series. Maybe that's just me getting to know the speakers limit's.

I like the x10 series 'cause I'm a sucker for meters and I think they have a better phono section.

The class "A" function is nice, I think it's a little punchier/snappier/crisper, like there is better control of the drivers.

YMMV
 
OK How do you think the 810 or 1000 would compare to a CR 1040 receiver?? Also an HK PM 655VXI or a 930 receiver. I know those two are very different. I had a regular 665 from 1985-92 and also one this past year and it is that mid 80s more detail. it is very good but voices are very distant on it.
I sold all my high end stuff to pay bills and have been playing with vintage for the last year as playing with the cheaper new stuff sucked. It is fun but funds do not permit getting more then one or maybe two for a shootout , Then the loser has to go right out the door. That is why i have to ask. . Thanks
 
I haven't played with a CA-1000, but have used the 410, 610, 810 and the 1010. I thought the 810 was a clear step up from the bottom two and not just in power. The 1010 I found to be noticeably an improvement on the 810, though both are excellent. Of course the real wood on the 1010 case doesn't hurt, either!
 
I believe that the 1040 uses an IC amp where as the 810 & 1000 use discreet output components. the X40 series is where the quality of the components shifted, not that it's bad stuff, just not the same. The dynamics, the impact, seem to suffer because the ability to pass current is limited by the IC amp.

The HK gear is another story. I have no experience with the 665, but will never part with my 630 or 730. I have heard the 930 is just a 730 with more output, someday I will bag one of those too. The 730 is possibly one of the better sounding receivers of all time, I would imagine the 930 wouldn't be far off.

If it's got to be a shootout, grab the HK 930 and the CA 1000, I doubt either will make it back out the door.

Unfortunately all the responses you will get here really don't mean squat. You have some nice gear to cycle through, spend some time and listen to them, only you can decide which one is truly best for you.

If you grab the 930 and decide you don't like it I would like first dibs if that is possible.

Good luck & have fun
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom