• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Yamaha CA-1010 Setting Idle Current (bias?)

SaturationPt

Big Woofer Club
Subscriber
Hi all, great forum, have been lurking for about a year, ... was a reformed audiophile, past tech, EE, ... my son got me hooked on the hobby again and I have a small stash of vintage so:

I have a Yamaha CA-1010 that I decided to start using, needed to replace the protection relay and set the "idle current" per the FSM. Relay replacement went great, setting L channel went great (25mV Normal, 280mV A-Class).

R channel not so good. Set Normal to 25mV via VR301, switched to A-Class and voltage was 25mV. Turned VR302 until 280mV, ... back to Normal setting and at 280mV. Adjust VR301 to 25mV and switch to A-Class: 25mV again.

1st question:
It is my assumption at this point that the Class-A / Normal relay (same Panasonic as protection relay, thanks Yamaha for keeping it simple). I have one in-bound. Does this sound likely to those better acquainted with the CA-1010?

2nd question: I have adjusted VR302 (R-Channel) to mid-point (since the pots are interactive at this point) and then adjusted VR301 to 25mV in Normal mode, and am using the amp. Does this sound safe? DC offsets are <10mV IIRC. I'd like to continue using it until I get the part and time to install it.

Thanks again!
 
Register to hide this ad
Measure the collector voltage of your output transistors in normal mode. Then in class A. In class A . If the mode relay is properly working the collector voltage should drop in class A.
 
Class A rail approx. + & - 22 vdc
Class AB (normal) rail approx. + & - 55 vdc
 
Last edited:
Actually if the normal/class A relay was the problem. It would foul up both channels.All the relay does is switch power transformer secondary taps.
 
Last edited:
TR311 and/or TR312 on the R-channel may have issues. Or cold solder connections.
 
Last edited:
2nd question: I have adjusted VR302 (R-Channel) to mid-point (since the pots are interactive at this point) and then adjusted VR301 to 25mV in Normal mode, and am using the amp. Does this sound safe? DC offsets are <10mV IIRC. I'd like to continue using it until I get the part and time to install it.
As long as its stuck in normal 25mv. It shouldn't be and issue.
 
Thanks Avionic.
I'll continue using in normal/25mV for now, am rehabbing an SA-9900 that I can use in its place while I go through it more thoroughly. The reminder that the relay only changes power is a good catch for certain.

I'll look at TR311 & TR312 and the solder joints, it would be nice to find it that easily.

It's my favorite sounding amp, not a powerhouse but as nice as it sounds after all of these years I think I probably should give it some serious attention.
 
CA-1010 is a damn nice amplifier . My brother bought one and a pair of NS-1000M's new at German BX. I ended up with both the NS-1000M's and the amplifier. " Thanks Bro !":naughty:
 
Super clean CA-1010, needed some basic maintenance, controls cleaned, lamps replaced, amp adjustment.

How critical is it to have an 8 ohm dummy load attached when setting idle? Before adjustments, the readings were: Normal - L ch 18 mV, R ch 7 mV. Class A - L ch 115 mV, R ch 88 mV.

Volume turned down, no signal, coupler off. I left a pair of 8 ohm speakers hooked up. Both Normal and Class A adjusted easily to spec. Seems to throw off a fair amount of heat, though.

Q1: Is it normal for the original readings be that far off? It's probably never been adjusted before.

Q2: Is this amp known for running fairly warm?
 
Back
Top Bottom