• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha CDX-1030 Skips

Raccoon1400

Super Member
I'm working on a yamaha CDX-1030. It skips. It does it more toward the end of the record. I cleaned and lubed the rails with sewing machine oil and that might have helped a bit. Sometimes it would skip backwards, sometimes now it skips forwards. And sometimes it stops before the end of the disc. (Also I had to replace the drawer belt to get it to play at all)

What do you guys clean laser lenses with? dr*audio said to use ethanol but I can't find pure ethanol around here. I haven't done any damage with rubbing alcohol yet I don't think.

I read dr*audio's post in DIY on CD players, and this link:
http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPORT/laser/Laserology.html

I'm not sure what to try next. I'm an experienced tech (at least with receivers and turntables) but I haven't gotten far with CD players with disc reading issues.
 
Register to hide this ad
I always used a cleaning CD to clean the lens. It has a brush that cleans off the Lens they work quiet well.

Here is am an example.
2154D0F6-1A0D-4DC9-B02A-FB8E2E4528B9.png
 
I always used a cleaning CD to clean the lens. It has a brush that cleans off the Lens they work quiet well.

Here is am an example.
I have one of those. On this player I tried blowing the dust off with a squeeze ball that is for cleaning camera lenses.
 
Vodka works fine. Or you can use Kodak Lens Cleaner. Did you oil the disc motor top bearing?
 
Yep. It's for cleaning photographic lenses, it's safe to use. Photographic lenses have coatings on them and anything that is meant to clean them without damaging the coating is safe to use on any lens.
You don't have to get it from Amazon, go to a camera store and ask for lens cleaner.
I found some cleaner but it doesn't seem to be helping. What else should I check?
 
Lubricate the top bearing on the disc motor with light machine oil. Also look at the rf test point on a scope. If the rf waveform gets lower as it plays, the laser is kaput.
 
Had the same issue with my CDX1030 - look at the solder points connectiing the 'heat sinked' transistors to the mainboard, these had ring cracks on my machine, reflowing the solders was the fix.
 
dr*audio said to use ethanol but I can't find pure ethanol around here.
220px-EverclearHiRes.jpg
 
Had the same issue with my CDX1030 - look at the solder points connectiing the 'heat sinked' transistors to the mainboard, these had ring cracks on my machine, reflowing the solders was the fix.
I'll check that.
See the service manual.
Is it the one labeled EFM? Screenshot below. It comes out of the RF amp.
Everclear
Can't buy that in Ontario but I think I can get something that strong across the bridge in Quebec.
https://www.saq.com/page/en/saqcom/alcohol/global-94-/90076
They must make it for cleaning CD lenses, I can't imagine drinking it. I have bad enough memories from vodka.
 

Attachments

  • efm.PNG
    efm.PNG
    33.2 KB · Views: 7
See the service manual.
I tried putting the scope at the EFM test point I mentioned in the previous message. I'm not sure if it is the right point, but the waveform is stable as it plays
Had the same issue with my CDX1030 - look at the solder points connectiing the 'heat sinked' transistors to the mainboard, these had ring cracks on my machine, reflowing the solders was the fix.
I just did some touchup but it still skips.
. Here's a picture.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6967.JPG
    IMG_6967.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom