• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha CR-620 Pop sound when shutting off

Natsil42

New Member
This receiver has a relay that puts a delay on turning the speakers on for about 3 seconds after you push the power button. When I shut the unit off, regardless of where the volume is set, there is a fairly loud pop sound in the speakers. Could this be related to the relay or am I looking at some other possible issue? Hoping this is common and I just haven't heard of it yet.

Thanks for any help!!
 
Register to hide this ad
Replace the burnt out lamps.With correct replacements. I'll bet your "pop" disappears.
 
Thanks bass blaster, if it is that can you do something to the relay without replacing it or is it just a matter of replacing it at that point?

Avionics, I don't have any burnt out lamps so I'm not sure that's the issue. I'm assuming ingredients you've run into that before? Now I have to go check and make sure all the lights ARE working? I haven't seen the stereo light come on but I haven't put an antenna on yet so...
 
Relay could be sticking. That unit is also prone to bad caps and especially the ones associated with the relay circuit. I don't normally favor recaps for no good reason, but I consider a 620 guilty of bad caps until proven innocent. Properly serviced, it's one of the sweetest sounding receivers I've heard.
 
Thanks Conrad, obviously I'm just learning a lot of this stuff now... can you fix a relay or do you just replace when there is an issue? I don't have the know how to do the work myself and sending it in for a good service would cost about as much as the Receiver! I can take care of the easier stuff like cleaning and I do have a soldering iron that I have replaced caps on a TV with but this sounds like some next level stuff!
 
I just got this receiver and the lamps are all working, they seem like the regular lamps and not led because they are fairly dim and have that slightly greenish hue. I'm not quite sure how the lamps would cause an audible pop only on power down, it's a quick loud bust of signal wherever it's coming from.
 
the lamps when working are drawing current so relay operates correctly at power off .
when not working the relay off time is extended hence the pop .
well its something like that .. its been covered before .
 
The lamps are run off of the same power supply as the protection circuit and present a fairly high load compared to the relay circuit. When power is switched off the power supply should collapse immediately and relay de-energizes immediately also. Without lamps the heavy load is not there and the relay power supply doesn't collapse as fast, slower than the amplifier circuit and that's where the pop comes from. The amplifier circuit is collapsing BEFORE the relay circuit, just what you don't want.


Pete beat me to it!


Craig
 
The lamps are run off of the same power supply as the protection circuit and present a fairly high load compared to the relay circuit. When power is switched off the power supply should collapse immediately and relay de-energizes immediately also. Without lamps the heavy load is not there and the relay power supply doesn't collapse as fast, slower than the amplifier circuit and that's where the pop comes from. The amplifier circuit is collapsing BEFORE the relay circuit, just what you don't want.


Pete beat me to it!


Craig
your explanation is much better than mine ..
 
Got that Nikko fixed yet? I got lost on that one, it's going to be something really stupid, always is.
 
can you explain to me exactly HOW lamps would cause popping to the speakers?
As Pete and Craig have reitterated. Its due to the lamps and the protect relay are on the same power supply. This issue is prevalent in most of the CR models.
 
If one doesn't take this into consideration when converting to LED illumination. Then it will rear its ugly head.
 
Back
Top Bottom