• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha CR-620 Relay Problem

Bradley J

New Member
Ok so I was going to play a record and as I was cleaning it while spinning on the platter I heard all sorts of static through the speakers and the relay in my 620 was going on and off rapidly. Just shut the 620 off and turned it back on and now the relay won’t engage. My turntable is also grounded to my stereo.
 
Register to hide this ad
Could have a bad solder connection some where.

Just one speaker or both?
Just happened again. It was working fine but after 5 minutes of playing I hear heavy static for a few seconds then POP. The relay switches off. It cuts both the speakers. There must be something shorting somewhere. Also if I barley bump the unit while the relay is engaged the relay pops off then back on quickly.
 
Also if I barley bump the unit while the relay is engaged the relay pops off then back on quickly.
Bad solder connection somewhere..Check/ reflow the solder connections on all the TO-220 transistors in the power supply.
 
Bad solder connection somewhere..Check/ reflow the solder connections on all the TO-220 transistors in the power supply.
Well I’m feeling pretty dumb... forgot to put the grounding screws through the board and the crossmember. I did the 4 running down the center but forgot the ones by the transformer and the tuner. Got those back in and that fixed everything. Now if I bump the unit, the relay no longer kicks off and back on. Glad it was something this simple. Still new to this stuff so hopefully I don’t sound really stupid lol. Anyways thanks for the recommendations and help. Much appreciated!
 
Back
Top Bottom