• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha CT-610 II Owners...

silversport

Super Member
...can I get your opinion on this Tuner???...let me set this up for you...

I have owned a CA-610 II since new in 1979...I couldn't afford the matching Tuner (CT-610 II) back then...when I finally picked up a Tuner it was Yamaha but much newer model...nothing like the 'bay back then...

This CA-610 II made it through my Family and recently (last summer) made it back to me...I blew the dust out, cleaned it and lubed everything with DeOXit Gold...everything seems to be functioning right and it sounds great for such a "little" integrated amp...

With so many places out there that have vintage gear available, I see the matching CT-610 II Tuner from time to time and thought, why not replace my Yamaha digital Tuner (average) with the matching CT-610 II...I have seen how "empty" it looks inside and read the threads about this Tuner's average sound quality but I guess I'm asking...is it really that bad or just not that great a Tuner???...is it only worth it to have a matching unit or a pretty good Tuner but there are better one's out there (even from Yamaha)...

lastly and most painfully...and I bet many of you would have similar experiences as I am about to mention...when I picked up a tuner for the CA-610 II last year (I got my CA-610 II back but not the Tuner I had back way when) I picked up another cheaper Yamaha digital Tuner...had convinced myself that this was for a thrid or fourth system and since I couldn't then find a CT-610 II at what I thought was a reasonable price...well...you can guess the rest...a short time after buying this Tuner...a CT-610 II came up on the 'bay and I won it...worse yet...minutes after winning the CT-610 II...a somewhat nearby CT-1010 came up...and it isn't too expensive (yet) so...

Move the digital Tuner on and add the matching CT-610 II to complete the set?

Buy the CT-1010 and move both the digital Yammie and the CT-610 II on and enjoy a far better Tuner with my CA-610 II?

Collect all the Tuners and amps out there???

Get off the internet and just enjoy the music???

Your help, experiences and thoughts would be appreciated here...

Thanks,

Bill
 
Register to hide this ad
I am listening to a CT-610 right now and there is a CT-1010 sitting unused in front of me because a cosmetically nicer 1010 is now hooked up in the living room system a few feet away. Not that I am only into Yamaha tuners, I have had over 40 vintage tuners from various brands. From a sound quality point of view, though not for reception ability, the analog ones are undervalued and represent great bargains right now. I have had several Yamaha digital tuners. The sound has ranged from not great (T-80) to good but bright (TX-930) to great (T-85). The digital Yamahas I have had will never be mistaken for analog tuners from a SQ point of view. Not warm sounding. If you have a cheap one it is probably much less enjoyable than the analog ones.

My 610, and I assume the 610II is similar, sounds great and works very well with zero cleaning or work. You should be able to pick one up for next to nothing and if it is working properly I guarantee that you will be very happy with the sound which is very warm and smooth without sounding tubby.

The 1010 is a much better tuner. Both of mine are more detailed than the 610 and one has better bass. That seems to be the issue with the 1010, variability. Several very experienced owners state it is one of the best if not the best they have had. Others rate it lower. I would say that it is much more likely to need alignment and cleaning as found than the simpler 610. The OTS automatic fine tuning system, which the 610 lacks, can be really erratic and annoying in a bad one.

The simple answer? Grab every one you come across if they work well! Once you have CT-1010 then you will need a matching CA-1010. I have one and it is a beautiful sounding amp.
 
Last edited:
thanks SO much for your answer...I may pick up the larger (IIRC) CT-1010 Tuner as well...My digital is the lowly T-60...I am in the Western Chicago suburbs and it picks up MANY stations but I wanted something that matches...I found a CT-610 II for $50 shipped that is supposed to be in very good cosmetic and functional condition...I'll know more when it arrives late next week...wonderful timing but as soon as I won the CT-610 II this CT-1010 somewhat near me popped up...thanks again for your response...
Bill
 
I have a pair of CA610IIs and a CT610II. I'm not sure what the going proce is now but when I got them they were fair value for the money. Not my favorite by any means. For less the Sherwood S9500c and S3300, though the final costs due to rebuild and alignment, are far better IMHO and I have a number of receivers that I like better.

Now, in absolute terms, the pair are not bad and have a nice sound and presentation as well as looking and feeling far nicer than units costing far more from other makers. Yamaha knew that looks and feel went a long way in closing the sale.

As for the tuner specifically. It has a pleasing presentation but at a cost of detail and high end air. It also is not a dx'er but has a good quieting slope so for most persons it is sufficiently decent for local to medium range listeing with just a folder dipole ribbon. All in all a pleasant listeing experience but not an outstanding unit but, isn't listeing what it is about?

As for matching units, there is nothing in the rule book for or against. One of the advantages of having sepeate components is that you can mix and match. If you like the CA but want a better tuner, then add the 1010.
 
Like the OP, I couldn't afford the CT-610II to go with my CA-610II when it was new, but I bought one a few years back on eBay for $30 in like-new condition. It is a perfectly decent-sounding and OK-performing solid state Japanese tuner. No more, no less. Don't expect Accuphase or Mac performance and you probably won't be disappointed (they're cheap, as I already noted). You may be a little disappointed if you take the top off, though... ;-)

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75738&highlight=CT-600
 
yes I was shocked to see that thread and the interior...I too picked up mine for relatively cheap on the 'bay (still waiting for delivery...late this week)...the CT-1010 went for more than I would have paid so I am fine with that...I bought this one as much to complete the set and it is going to be in a garage system I think...something to listen to when working, not so much for critical listening...thanks for the replies guys...'preciate it...
Buying the CT-610 II has reminded me of when I first bought the CA-610 II...walking into town and looking at all the stuff at the stereo store...picking out what I liked and then narrowing that to what I could afford...boy that list sure shrank...:D...but it has brought me a lot of joy over the years and so...'preciate your experiences and thanks for sharing!
Bill
 
Well...my CT-610 II arrived today and other than being pretty dirty, and some oxidation...it is better than the pictures...took the top off...blew the dust out...deoxIT on the controls (taking great care to keep the deoxIT ONLY on the controls :D)...cleaned the exterior...oiled the wood...connect to my CA-610 II...voila'...

Well...the lamps are a bit darker than my CA-610 II...the lamp for the dial is out...the pointer is just a bit off...and the sound is kinda...thin???...no great big deal just yet...I'll let it play in some before deciding...

...at least it pretty much matches the CA-610 II (the original reason for purchase) and I didn't break the bank buying it...and boy is it empty inside...;)

Bill
 
Congrats. Ya can not say we did not warn you about the interior. The lighting of my CA and CT also are as dit different in brightness. The pointer postion on mine is spt on so possibly you can correct yours. As for the sound, it is funny as I find it to be a bit dark. Mine was gone through not long before I bought it so I assume it is near spec.

If you get achance to pick up a set of A/D/S L3xx or 4xx series speakers, they will mate nicely with them.
 
well...I may have solved the thinness problem...Brian, you inspired me to go back outside and go to the shelf in the garage where this combo is right now...I disconnected a cheap ribbon antenna and replaced it with a better ribbon (this first one did fine with the newer digital Yamaha Tuner that it was connected to) antenna (I live just outside Chicago so there are plenty of stations)...this antenna cleared up some of the background hiss I was experiencing and the sound seems fuller...this fullness may also be because it is being played a bit and may have sat for awhile in the custody of the previous owner...sounds pretty good though...thanks...:thmbsp:
Bill
 
I love my CT-610 II. It picks up all the stations I need, strong and clear. And the sound is there too. At no point do I feel the need to equalize anything.
 
thanks for the feedback...I am having minor difficulties as I don't have an owner's manual and all I can find online is one for the earlier CT-610 which is similar but different...learning what FM blend and FM Auto is taking me a bit but it sounds nice...maybe just needed a good cleaning and some playing time...
Bill
 
FM blend blends higher frequencies to mono. You still get some stereo separation (through the midrange) but most of the out-of-phase hiss at higher frequencies will cancel out. This is a way to still get listenable stereo from a weak(er) signal.

FM Auto will automatically switch the tuner reception between stereo and mono depending upon signal strength.
 
The quieting slope on the CT is pretty good. Mine came with the jumper in place and one thing I'll say for it is on local stations it is very quiet just using it and no external antenna. Of course to get the best out of any tuner, the antenna is important. It is funny how many will spend a fortune on a tuner and use the least expensive antenna they can find. I equate it with putting a $5 cartridge on a SME 3009 mounted on a Thorens TD126.
 
Guys, does the dial have its own back light or is it just the pointer that lights on this model (along with signal strength and meter)???...thanks...by the way...into day 2 and it sounds very nice...I spoke too soon yesterday of any thinness in sound...

Thanks,


Bill
 
I theenk so, Cisco!

cisco_pancho.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom