• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha M-50 vs Kenwood KM-105 -- Need to choose one.

Mystery

constantly upgrading...
Yamaha M-50 vs Kenwood KM-105.
I'm thinking of selling one.

Watts are similar:
Yamaha is 120 wpc @ 8 ohms and 200 wpc @ 4 ohms @ .01 distortion @ 100hz.
Kenwood is 125 wpc @ 8 ohms and 200 wpc @ 4 ohms.

But Yamaha is much heavier (around 10 lbs heavier) than Kenwood.

I have C-50 preamp but I don't like it due to the fact that it doesn't have a remote. I'm using a Yamaha stereo receiver as pre-amp that has a remote.

Which one should I keep?
Thanks
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'll keep Yamaha - no questions.
Much better build quality and the sound.....

Yamaha is better build but I haven't yet compared sound quality.
If I sell Yamaha, I can sell it along with C-50 and K-960 cassette as a combo (more $$$) whereas Kenwood all by itself. :headscrat
 
I have a KM-205 (Looks the same, slightly less power). It's a pretty okay sounding amp. And strangely, I use it with a Yamaha C-50.

Based on what I've heard, I would use the Yamaha amp over the Kenwood. The Kenwood was a budget amplifier, and the Yamaha was just the second lowest in their line of separates (none of which are really budget).
 
I haven't owned either model, but I have owned the very similar KM-106, and the KM-208, as well as a couple of M-70s, an M-80, and an MX-1.

If you want to keep one to use, I'd pick the Yamaha, based simply on build quality. I'd say the Yamaha sound quality is better, too, although I have to admit that I never compared them back to back using the same preamp.

If you want to sell the one that will get you the most cash, I'd say sell the Yamaha.
 
Back
Top Bottom