• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha M-85 users, what speakers?

Guest135

Active Member
I am currently powering a pair of HPM-100 speakers with a Yamaha M-85 and when I bought a pair of Polk RTi A3 speakers for one of my M-70 powered rigs, I suddenly realized that the HPM's are simply no longer sufficient for anything other than "Time to rock the neighborhood" listening.

I have always loved me a Polk speaker so they are the front runners in consideration. I am hoping someone might have powered Some LSi7 or LSi9 with the M-80/85 and could tell me their thoughts. I figure someone has run something polk on a Yamaha M series so yeah... thoughts especially to that end.

Is the M-85 enough rig for the gig? I have read several anecdotes saying as much as possible and I know the M-85 is good for 300 watts and change, just really curious.

Unfortunately the only local shop I have been to that has both LSi 7 and 9 that i have have found on display and hooked up doesn't have anything on display that explicitly supports 4 ohm output so I figure I will pick the most powerful Yamaha and Denon HT receivers on display and run the speakers through the gauntlet. I am still quite concerned a lack of 4 ohm support explicitly stated is going to mean what I hear in the store is going to be wildly different than what its going to be like through my system.

I would really like to know what speakers I should avoid for an M series amp. I have read opinions that Klipsch LaScalia's sound terrible on Yammie M's. When I bought these amps I didn't really have a whole lot of cash and they made everything I had sound so nice. Now that I am shopping with an expanded budget...

for the mod, I put it here instead of speakers because I am chasing opinions for good speaker matches for Yamaha M amps

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I can't tell you what to avoid but I have had excellent results running a pair of Polk Monitor 10's off a Yamaha M-65. :thmbsp:
 
Hmmm.......I run Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch Forte's I & II, B&O Penta's, RL140's, Cerwin's, Yamaha and many other through my three M series amps.........

All sounded great!!! No worries mate!! Very good amps indeed.
 
Yamaha NS series..nuff said.

Never looked into NS speakers, would I be insulting someone by offering up 1k for a pair of NS1000's that had their woofers rebuilt for the magnet shifting issue?

SO very hard to buy a speaker unheard...
 
Never looked into NS speakers, would I be insulting someone by offering up 1k for a pair of NS1000's that had their woofers rebuilt for the magnet shifting issue?

SO very hard to buy a speaker unheard...

1K is right around the going rate..I'd start around 3/4 of that.
 
Hmmm.......I run Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch Forte's I & II, B&O Penta's, RL140's, Cerwin's, Yamaha and many other through my three M series amps.........

All sounded great!!! No worries mate!! Very good amps indeed.

Speaking of Klipsch...:scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom