• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Yamaha M2 vs. McIntosh 2105 power amp

dundurnish

New Member
Hi there,

I mostly read your awesome posts on here but thought I'd post about my current dilemma/good fortune.

I've been running a McIntosh MC2105 power amp with a C28 preamp, which had issues and that I've sent packing, and I have on loan a lovely Lladro Design Group tube preamp. I'm running an Harman Kardon Citation 15 tuner and a Thorens 166mkii turntable which I run through an Edwards Audio phono preamp, with Duntech Opal speakers, which I found in near mint condition at the curb, thanks to one of my neighbours. I have a Nakamichi OMS-A4 CD player. It's a pretty great set-up, but I've been noticing its limitations, especially in bass and power. A knowledgeable friend stopped by and told me my speakers, though great, are simply too small for the room, and after thinking about it I agreed.

I started shopping for bigger speakers and after a couple of weeks tripped upon a pair of local ADS 910s in 9/10 condition with stands, pristine grills, and the circuit board that lights up vertically in red on the front, from the original owner, a retiree downsizing from a big house to a cottage a third of the size. He and his wife had faced a lot of terrible offers and no-shows at their rural property for what looked to be a terrific pair of speakers that don't come up for sale around here, at least very often. I floated a respectable but much lower offer than their asking, which seemed high to me, and they accepted. I've learned to ask more questions when buying vintage items, so I asked if they had any other equipment for sale. It turns out they had an umolested Yamaha M-2 power amp, a Thorens 126mkiii turntable with the original cart and a Denon MC cart and a Denon HD-500 head amp. They gave me all of the equipment, all in spectacular condition, including high-end speaker wires, manuals, flyers, and the catalogues and magazines they used to research the equipment back in about 1980 and ephemera (original brushes, all but the boxes), all for the original price they were asking for the speakers. They wanted the units to go to a good home, not to a flipper, which I am not, though I don't know what I'll do with two Thorens, or even which is better of the two. The Thorens is the only unit that appears to require a tune-up.

Long story short I have two quite good power amps in the M-2 and 2105, an I'm going to have to decide which to (use in my main system (used 90% of the time, mainly with vinyl) and I was hoping for thoughts from someone who might have faced the same good dilemma or who has opinions. The Yamaha, my first, has what I understand is "natural sound," at 245 wpc at 8 ohms. The 910s are 4 ohms, so I don't know what kind of power they put out (math is hard). The 2105 puts out 105 wpc at 8 ohms, and again unsure at 4 ohms.

So far I've tried out the M-2 with the 910s and the Nak player, which sounds pretty phenomenal, though the set-up in the room is not ideal and I've yet to hoist them up on their stands. Note the stands aren't the original cast aluminum gimbling type but short, fat, 1-foot stands that fit the speakers well. (Any help in finding a pair of original stands much appreciated.) I just can't lift the speakers onto the speakers on my own.

I know I'm capable of gathering my own impressions by trial and error, but I can't always distinguish subtle differences in sound, likely to to my age and years of listening to rock. Almost all of these components weigh about 100 lb apiece, so there's that. I feel an obligation to the original owner to preserve this equipment as best as possible without bumping it around much.

Would anyone have an opinion or share their insights? If I've posted this in the wrong forum, please don't hesitate to move it or suggest a form where I might move it to. I posted it in Yamaha because the Yamaha is the newest and so far most impressive piece of kit, without having gone back to the Mc.

Any insights on an ideal preamp are welcome, too. The Lladro is gorgeous but expensive and I can't stack it. I'm not going back to the C28, which I've heard from all corners is not a top of the line preamp despite the McIntosh name. I've read the C-4 is the appropriate match for the M-2.

And I'll say that one of the M-2 and the 2105 will become my main setup with the ADS and I might relegate the runner up with the Duntechs to duty in a smaller but still good-sized room.

Thanks! And apologies for going on at such lenght.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Sounds like you've got a great setup and some good options.
I haven't heard much in the way of the equipment you're auditioning so can't really give you much help in that regard. I've heard quite a few Mc amps over time and I've never really warmed to them. They do sound good though nothing I've wanted to take home.
Oddly enough, the M-2 doesn't list a 4 ohm power rating but I'd guess it's somewhere up around "A LOT." You can find the owners and service manuals here if you're interested https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/m-2.shtml You do have to create an account but it's just to be able to download, they won't ever bother you again.

For a preamp, there really are a ton out there.
If you want to go period correct then the C-4 would be a good fit as would the C-2a. I've got the C-2a as well as the newer C-2x. Both have excellent phono stages and I've read the C-4 does as well. The C-80 is another great pre amp. Again, great phono stage. It doesn't really fit with the look of the M-2 which may or may not matter to you.
You're getting into the vintage realm at this point and most of the units you're going to be looking at might need some service work sooner or later.
 
do an honest shootout and hear for yourself.

i can see a scenario, depending on your ears, in which each amp would seem better to you than the other. the M-2 is not a bass champ among Yamahas (in my experience), so you may find the McIntosh sounds weightier despite its lower rated output. but i'm not sure you'll find a more transparent vintage amp in the M-2's price range. so it kind of depends on the surrounding components and your room specs and your ears, as to deciding which amp is best.

in the end, i have more vintage Yamahas that i regret selling than any other brand.
 
Sounds like you've got a great setup and some good options.
I haven't heard much in the way of the equipment you're auditioning so can't really give you much help in that regard. I've heard quite a few Mc amps over time and I've never really warmed to them. They do sound good though nothing I've wanted to take home.
Oddly enough, the M-2 doesn't list a 4 ohm power rating but I'd guess it's somewhere up around "A LOT." You can find the owners and service manuals here if you're interested https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/m-2.shtml You do have to create an account but it's just to be able to download, they won't ever bother you again.

For a preamp, there really are a ton out there.
If you want to go period correct then the C-4 would be a good fit as would the C-2a. I've got the C-2a as well as the newer C-2x. Both have excellent phono stages and I've read the C-4 does as well. The C-80 is another great pre amp. Again, great phono stage. It doesn't really fit with the look of the M-2 which may or may not matter to you.
You're getting into the vintage realm at this point and most of the units you're going to be looking at might need some service work sooner or later.

Thank you! Hifi Engine is one of my bibles. I don't always find the info I need, sometimes finding only service manuals and not users manuals, but it's a fantastic site. I will have to research the match of wattage from 8 ohm to 4. I have found that info before as I disappeared down the rabbit hole.

I'm going to give the Yamaha a few days of listening and then switch back to the McIntosh. So far, the Yamaha sounds great. The 910s are unforgiving for any surface sound on records.
 
do an honest shootout and hear for yourself.

i can see a scenario, depending on your ears, in which each amp would seem better to you than the other. the M-2 is not a bass champ among Yamahas (in my experience), so you may find the McIntosh sounds weightier despite its lower rated output. but i'm not sure you'll find a more transparent vintage amp in the M-2's price range. so it kind of depends on the surrounding components and your room specs and your ears, as to deciding which amp is best.

in the end, i have more vintage Yamahas that i regret selling than any other brand.

I suspect you're right. I assumed the Yamaha would be bassier because of its power rating and because it's just so damn heavy, and because it's black (I attribute this to most black Sansuis I've tried having great bass, though it doesn't seem to be universal). I've never owned Yamaha equipment before, but I do love it. In theory, if I decide to keep one, it might be the Yamaha, and I can sell the McIntosh and buy an excellent preamp with the proceeds. Thanks for the response.
 
I really like my M-2. You already know how good it sounds.

You are right, sir. I am going to have to reconfigure my room around it. My room is large and rectangular and right now I'm only using one half of one side of the smaller section of the rectangle, thanks to all of my kids' junk. That will have to change.
 
Sounds like you've got a great setup and some good options.
I haven't heard much in the way of the equipment you're auditioning so can't really give you much help in that regard. I've heard quite a few Mc amps over time and I've never really warmed to them. They do sound good though nothing I've wanted to take home.
Oddly enough, the M-2 doesn't list a 4 ohm power rating but I'd guess it's somewhere up around "A LOT." You can find the owners and service manuals here if you're interested https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/m-2.shtml You do have to create an account but it's just to be able to download, they won't ever bother you again.

For a preamp, there really are a ton out there.
If you want to go period correct then the C-4 would be a good fit as would the C-2a. I've got the C-2a as well as the newer C-2x. Both have excellent phono stages and I've read the C-4 does as well. The C-80 is another great pre amp. Again, great phono stage. It doesn't really fit with the look of the M-2 which may or may not matter to you.
You're getting into the vintage realm at this point and most of the units you're going to be looking at might need some service work sooner or later.

I might look around for a C-4, though they seem to command a pretty penny, especially those that have been recapped, assuming I'm using the right term. There's at least one on epray now for more than a grand. I prefer to buy locally, anyway. I got lucky with this M-2. I know this isn't a price point thread, but it cost CAN$325, which I realize is well under market value. There's room there to have it looked at and perhaps recapped, though at this point, with the way it sounds and how well it was kept up (the previous owner dusted the heat sinks daily) I don't think I need to. I'll just enjoy it. Thanks for the reply!
 
In a German HiFi mag. the M-2 was tested 400W/Channel @ 4 Ohm. In my experience, the M-2 is not a perfect match with 4 Ohm speakers. With low impedance speakers like a Focal Maestro Utopia (minimum impedance almost 2 Ohms) it sounds constrained and thin at higher volumes.
 
400w/c? That's ridiculous. I don't live in a stadium. The previous owner used this setup for 40 years and he loved it, though of course he didn't try anything else. I rarely turn my volume up past 2, sometimes 3, so it may not be an issue. I have to reconfigure my room around the bigger ADS speakers on their stands regardless, so I will audition the M-2 and the 2105 carefully on various same sources to see what I find out. I'm also auditioning preamps, including a tube preamp. I'll have to ask for others' opinions. It could be that the M-2, as gorgeous as it is, isn't the ideal fit for me, and if that's the case perhaps I sell it or trade it for something not as powerful but with higher fidelity. Thanks for your input.
 
I would say that there is nothing about the M-2 that artificially accentuates the bass, but there is certainly nothing about it that holds back the bass either. That is what "natural sound" means - neutral. Up until clipping, what you put in is what you should get out (amplified, of course).

When it comes to preamps, I have both a C-4 and an C-80 preamp and I prefer the C-80 with the M-2 personally, even though it is one or two generations newer than the M-2. One thing that is very nice about the C-80 is the inverted pre-outs. That allows you to bridge amps that can't normally be bridged, but even if you are just using a single amp, the inverted pre-outs allow you to wire the speakers to your amp out of phase so that you are drawing power from each power rail opposite of each other, as opposed to the same time. This results in more potential power output, especially when it comes to bass.

From the C-80 / C-85 manual:
c85invert.jpg

Also, the M-2 can handle lower impedance loads just fine. It is truly a beast. Take the Cerwin-Vega D-9 for example, a speaker with a very low minimum impedance. On several occasions I brought my M-2 over to my friends house where we used it to power not one, but two pairs of D-9's simultaneously at party volumes for extended periods of time. With the impedance curve of the D-9, and running two pairs simultaneously, we are talking about dips below 2 ohms. It did not let me down. I'm not sure how loud it was exactly, because my meter only goes up to 130db. The bass was not lacking, to say the least.

IMG_1166.jpg

Also, if you are actually pushing the M-2 beyond it's limits, it will be very easy to see. There is an "overload" light on the front that will begin to twinkle at about 2% THD, or about the onset of soft-clipping, letting you know it's reached it's limit, as opposed to trying to guess.

I don't know much about the MC2105, but I know that you can't go wrong with the M-2.
 
I for one am interested to hear your opinion of which amplifier serves your needs better when you arrive at it.
 
I would say that there is nothing about the M-2 that artificially accentuates the bass, but there is certainly nothing about it that holds back the bass either. That is what "natural sound" means - neutral. Up until clipping, what you put in is what you should get out (amplified, of course).

When it comes to preamps, I have both a C-4 and an C-80 preamp and I prefer the C-80 with the M-2 personally, even though it is one or two generations newer than the M-2. One thing that is very nice about the C-80 is the inverted pre-outs. That allows you to bridge amps that can't normally be bridged, but even if you are just using a single amp, the inverted pre-outs allow you to wire the speakers to your amp out of phase so that you are drawing power from each power rail opposite of each other, as opposed to the same time. This results in more potential power output, especially when it comes to bass.

From the C-80 / C-85 manual:
View attachment 1783394

Also, the M-2 can handle lower impedance loads just fine. It is truly a beast. Take the Cerwin-Vega D-9 for example, a speaker with a very low minimum impedance. On several occasions I brought my M-2 over to my friends house where we used it to power not one, but two pairs of D-9's simultaneously at party volumes for extended periods of time. With the impedance curve of the D-9, and running two pairs simultaneously, we are talking about dips below 2 ohms. It did not let me down. I'm not sure how loud it was exactly, because my meter only goes up to 130db. The bass was not lacking, to say the least.

View attachment 1783397

Also, if you are actually pushing the M-2 beyond it's limits, it will be very easy to see. There is an "overload" light on the front that will begin to twinkle at about 2% THD, or about the onset of soft-clipping, letting you know it's reached it's limit, as opposed to trying to guess.

I don't know much about the MC2105, but I know that you can't go wrong with the M-2.
party on!
 
I would say that there is nothing about the M-2 that artificially accentuates the bass, but there is certainly nothing about it that holds back the bass either. That is what "natural sound" means - neutral. Up until clipping, what you put in is what you should get out (amplified, of course).

When it comes to preamps, I have both a C-4 and an C-80 preamp and I prefer the C-80 with the M-2 personally, even though it is one or two generations newer than the M-2. One thing that is very nice about the C-80 is the inverted pre-outs. That allows you to bridge amps that can't normally be bridged, but even if you are just using a single amp, the inverted pre-outs allow you to wire the speakers to your amp out of phase so that you are drawing power from each power rail opposite of each other, as opposed to the same time. This results in more potential power output, especially when it comes to bass.

From the C-80 / C-85 manual:
View attachment 1783394

Also, the M-2 can handle lower impedance loads just fine. It is truly a beast. Take the Cerwin-Vega D-9 for example, a speaker with a very low minimum impedance. On several occasions I brought my M-2 over to my friends house where we used it to power not one, but two pairs of D-9's simultaneously at party volumes for extended periods of time. With the impedance curve of the D-9, and running two pairs simultaneously, we are talking about dips below 2 ohms. It did not let me down. I'm not sure how loud it was exactly, because my meter only goes up to 130db. The bass was not lacking, to say the least.

View attachment 1783397

Also, if you are actually pushing the M-2 beyond it's limits, it will be very easy to see. There is an "overload" light on the front that will begin to twinkle at about 2% THD, or about the onset of soft-clipping, letting you know it's reached it's limit, as opposed to trying to guess.

I don't know much about the MC2105, but I know that you can't go wrong with the M-2.

Rock on! Thanks very much for your comprehensive and informative response. A lot to think about and to research further. Love the shot with the two CWD-9s.
 
I for one am interested to hear your opinion of which amplifier serves your needs better when you arrive at it.

I will definitely following up. I'm listening now to a range of music on a variety of source. I only have the one tube preamp, which is a very nice piece of modern kit, so my impressions should be consistent and, I hope, useful.
 
Wow you sure stepped in it.

The 126 is much much better than the lowly 166 but it has an achilles heel the motor might die so I would get it up to its performance level and that might mean a recap to the voltage are right with it...I don't know why the motor dies and use it while you keep the 166 in the closet to use when the 126 bricks.

Curious about the difference in the sound of the amps. The Yamaha has their Natural Sound,clean clear crisp and the 2105 should have the McIntosh should maybe more laid back, possibly more musical but both are good amps. Give em a spin.

Since the speakers are worth close to a grand US you did well if their ask was within reason. Time to use and enjoy and learn about what the good stuff is and get that C-4 so you can look for a third turntable to fill all the phono inputs.
 
Also, the M-2 can handle lower impedance loads just fine.
Maybe just fine, but not really good. Have tried them with AR90, AR-11, Focal Maestro Utopia and Mirage 5si. All of them difficult to drive. I think the PC limiter kicks in at high volumes. I really love the M-2 with my NS-2000.
 
Okay (assuming anyone's still listening). I've tried the MC2105 and the Yamaha M-2 with the ADS 910s and the tube preamp, listening go various kinds of albums, the same albums on both amps. I loved the sound and power of the Yamaha for the first while, but when I switched to the McIntosh I immediately noticed an improvement in musicality and separation and staging of the sound, especially on my jazz albums. At first I found the bass lacking on the 2105 and wondered if it might have been superior on the Yamaha but now I believe the quality of the recordings helped to skew the results. I'm not listening to a Black Sabbath album, obviously with plenty of bass, and the McIntosh is performing very well. The sound is the most important factor for me, but the aesthetics of the 2105 are pretty hard to beat, as classic black as the Yamaha looks. The M-2 performed really well, but it looks as if it'll be the 2105 that will be powering the 910s in my main system. The Yamaha is simply too powerful for the other rooms in my house, including my garage, which is a bit of a bowling alley and would be ridiculous.

I know price values aren't important factors here, but I paid CAN$1,500 for the ADS 910s, the Yamaha M-2, and the THorens 126 mkiii, with the seller putting the 910s at $850 and the other two at $325 apiece. I realize those are astonishing bargains, especially given the excellent condition. My 126 will replace the 166, but I might take the suggestion to put the 166 away in case the motor dies in the other. On the other hand, I could sell or trade the 125 for a C4 or another really good preamp, or to go towards the tube amp I'm currently borrowing. First world problems! Thanks for your input, everyone!
 
Okay (assuming anyone's still listening). I've tried the MC2105 and the Yamaha M-2 with the ADS 910s and the tube preamp, listening go various kinds of albums, the same albums on both amps. I loved the sound and power of the Yamaha for the first while, but when I switched to the McIntosh I immediately noticed an improvement in musicality and separation and staging of the sound, especially on my jazz albums. At first I found the bass lacking on the 2105 and wondered if it might have been superior on the Yamaha but now I believe the quality of the recordings helped to skew the results. I'm not listening to a Black Sabbath album, obviously with plenty of bass, and the McIntosh is performing very well. The sound is the most important factor for me, but the aesthetics of the 2105 are pretty hard to beat, as classic black as the Yamaha looks. The M-2 performed really well, but it looks as if it'll be the 2105 that will be powering the 910s in my main system. The Yamaha is simply too powerful for the other rooms in my house, including my garage, which is a bit of a bowling alley and would be ridiculous.

I know price values aren't important factors here, but I paid CAN$1,500 for the ADS 910s, the Yamaha M-2, and the THorens 126 mkiii, with the seller putting the 910s at $850 and the other two at $325 apiece. I realize those are astonishing bargains, especially given the excellent condition. My 126 will replace the 166, but I might take the suggestion to put the 166 away in case the motor dies in the other. On the other hand, I could sell or trade the 125 for a C4 or another really good preamp, or to go towards the tube amp I'm currently borrowing. First world problems! Thanks for your input, everyone!
Glad you're happy with the MC2105. :thumbsup:

Have you thought about using a passive preamp? https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/townshend-allegri.746591/
 
Glad you're happy with the MC2105. :thumbsup:

Have you thought about using a passive preamp? https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/townshend-allegri.746591/

A little bit out of my price range. The Lladro pre at $2,000 is already beyond me, though I'm getting credit for trading in my pain in the ass Mc C28. I'm going to try what I'm told is a nice Dayton Audio as well.

My nice-sounding stereo turned into a clock radio mid-song. I think the bass on some rather modest jazz songs shook loose connections in my ADS 910s. Hope that isn't an ongoing issue.
 
Back
Top Bottom