• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha ns-1000m beryllium tweeters replaced with soft dooms 690??

adeel

Active Member
hi friends my 1000m tweeters are dead i want to replace them but replacement is too costly so i want to replace them with yamaha ns-690 tweeters i want to know will it work ok . i mean is it possible to use beryllium midrange and soft dooms tweeters and whole frequency response curve is flate and is it necessary to use same diphram material for midrange and tweeters thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sacrilege...Soft dome on a NS-1000M...

source.gif
 
What makes these speakers special are the beryllium drivers. I would part these out and buy a pair of ns-690 before I would swap in other tweeters. I should mention that I have had 1000Ms since I bought them 40 years ago.

Search on "Yamaha NS-1000M Tweeter Repair service" in EBAY for one alternative.
 
I should mention that I have had 1000Ms since I bought them 40 years ago.
Same here. Bought my NS-1000's in 1980 new at a BX in Germany.My brother bought his NS-1000M's new a year before at a different BX in Germany. I ended up with his NS-1000M's as well.
He gave them to me. Thanks Bro..:beerchug: I've had to replace 4 tweeters in 40 years. Back when Yamaha USA still had spares for sale at $115 ea.
 
Last edited:
I think the NS-690 soft domes are the same physical size...To bad you can't swing Be replacements. At least you still have the Be midranges. Lets us know how it sounds..
 
My second pair of 1000M's had 2 bad tweeters. I replaced them via auction wins. Paid less than 200 each. I thought about swapping the 690's but found the used Be at reasonable price. I would be interested to hear them with the soft domes.
 
hi friends my 1000m tweeters are dead i want to replace them but replacement is too costly so i want to replace them with yamaha ns-690 tweeters i want to know will it work ok . i mean is it possible to use beryllium midrange and soft dooms tweeters and whole frequency response curve is flate and is it necessary to use same diphram material for midrange and tweeters thanks.

Have you looked into having them repaired/rebuilt? Have the domes cracked or fallen apart? When I bought a pair of JBL's from a speaker repair tech, his house was littered with drivers in various states of repair and he showed me that voice coils can be redone and told me most drivers can be rebuilt. If the Beryllium is intact I'd say it's worth the effort.
 
Back
Top Bottom