• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha NS 5000 speakers - link

Register to hide this ad
Audio Video South Africa ( a local magazine) has a pair for review and just might do a comparison to a pair of NS 1000M as part of the planned article. I will post it here as soon as it is published. It seems like there is a retro aspect t these speakers and that Yamaha wants to use the cult status and success of the NS 1000 as part of the marketing for this new product. Being a "vintage" yamaha fan this is really only of academic interest to me as an audio enthusiast. Any comments on the development?
 
Awesome.

I actually heard the NS-5000 at Taves this year. I spent about 30 minutes in the room listening.

My main feeling about the differences between the NS-5000 and a stock pair of NS-1000 is bass. The NS-5000 had beautiful bass. Otherwise, I'd say the NS-5000 sounded a lot like the NS-1000.
 
Just passed a hifi store at lunch in NZ and saw these in there and I HAD to go in to look at them. Never been a massive Yammy fan but these things are stunning. I would have loved to heave heard them - but they are not bi-wireable!?!?!?!
 
Fifteen THOUSAND EUROS???? Thanks, but I'll restore a pair of NS-1000 and add a sub.
They are truly gorgeous speakers with an exquisite build but for the price they really don't sound that incredible. I listened to a pair last October in Japan with an all Yamaha setup. NS-2000's or even NSX-10000's would still be a far better value.
 
They are truly gorgeous speakers with an exquisite build but for the price they really don't sound that incredible. I listened to a pair last October in Japan with an all Yamaha setup. NS-2000's or even NSX-10000's would still be a far better value.

I don't want to pile on the 5000, but it just seems that when for less than 25% of the cost I can get close or equal the performance and if I want to go nuts and pay another $2K for a professional to put a real piano finish on them. I'm still way ahead and the looks would be similar.

That said, they are absolutely beautiful and are most likely just a statement piece which is fine. Maybe the electronics will re-appear in a more affordable package?
 
I don't want to pile on the 5000, but it just seems that when for less than 25% of the cost I can get close or equal the performance and if I want to go nuts and pay another $2K for a professional to put a real piano finish on them. I'm still way ahead and the looks would be similar.

That said, they are absolutely beautiful and are most likely just a statement piece which is fine. Maybe the electronics will re-appear in a more affordable package?



Absolutely gorgeous but $10k better than the pair of Soavo's in the middle (of which I own a pair) on the same setup? Absolutely not. Listened to them both and it made me feel pretty good about my Soavo's.
 
I kind of thought the same thing when I heard these speakers. Awesome speakers, but worth 8x more than a nicely refreshed and recapped set of NS-1000?

Heck, I am not sure you could tell the difference in a blind test. They probably sound different, but not necessarily noticeably better.
 
I'd have them in a minute, the all birch ply, which is very specifically chosen, the new in house designed and built drivers. Lovely. I feel this kind of craftsmanship is just royally expensive these days. As a comparison, the Sony SS-AR1 is somewhere around $28 g's, same attention to the cabinet and crossover with excellent built to order Scan Speak drivers. The Sony's get top honor reviews, I think the Yamaha's will too.
Fortunately I have no need for new speakers, I'm extremely happy with mine. Otherwise...
(I agree the NS-10000 is probably quite close, but they're $10k for a good pair now, more with the optional stands).
 
Back
Top Bottom