• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha NS-500m opinions wanted

mcgarick

Super Member
Hi
Anyone familiar with these vintage speakers?

Are they GREAT speakers,or just OK. I would be using them with tubes.

How would they compare today?

Would they sound OK placed a foot away from the back wall?

Comments welcome, as I know where to pick up a nice kept pair for around $275.00

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • DSC08309.jpg
    DSC08309.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 120
Register to hide this ad
I really like the look of them, and based by that alone, I think they sound good, and look to be higher end. If the price is right, grab em.
 
$275 is a decent price for NS-500M's. For newer SS, they are excellent. I expect the 500 to be good with tubes, but the NS-1000M is better. The NS-500M has a poly cone woofer which is a touch livelier and harder sounding than the treated paper cones in the NS-1000M. While the 500 shares the Beryllim tweeter, it does not have the Be midrange of the 1000. So the 500 comes off a touch brighter. The differences are definitely marginal but sitting side by side, it is easy to pick out.
 
Correction,these are NS-500ma's

There is a plain NS-500, which is a two-way ported design which I do not recommend. IIRC, the NS-500Ma has bullnose edges and is a three-way sealed speaker of a slightly later vintage. I can't remember if the Be tweeter was retained for this model. If the NS-500Ma does not have the Be tweeter, $275 seems high to me.

EDIT: Looking at your picture, the tweeter does look like Beryllium. The woofer looks like a 10 incher. This should sound decently good and definitely worth a try. However, $275 is about market value for these and so this is not a screaming deal. Make sure you like them before taking them home.
 
Back
Top Bottom